Where to find models, and other questions...

todd_boynton

I'm starting to get more into model photography, but still very much a newbie. I'm

wondering:

1) Where is a good place to find models?

2) How much should I typically pay the model for a shoot? How much time do I get?

3) Who do you sell your images to? Stock? How do you make money?

4) Can you point me to some good websites or books on this subject. I want to know how

a professional shoot is generally conducted.

Thanks! I already have a good job and want to do more of this on the side.

1) Where is a good place to find models?-give your card out to every girl you meet and offer tcp/tfcd's. I have alot of luck with sites like myspace.com, modelmayhem.com, and onemodelplace.com

2) How much should I typically pay the model for a shoot? How much time do I get? offer tfp or tfcd's (trade their time for your photos or cd). I shoot until we're both tired.

3) Who do you sell your images to? Stock? How do you make money? I made money from my models. I don't give them the photos in full resolution and I don't retouch them. So, they purchase prints and retouches from me. Which usually ends up being around $300-$400

I'm new at this been doing it less than a year. so, I don't know about selling images.

Big topic. I think the model finding thing is a crapshoot depending on where one is located. I have not been successful in getting responses from OMP and Model Mayhem. Pay the model what the model is worth. Have you heard of negotiation. It can work. Money aint what it used to be. Time is more than it used to be. Consider joining as an associate your local professional photo association. Brain picking in person beats all else. Noone wants to talk stink via e mail. (Many are called,few are chosen. Every young lady dreams of being a model. It is a tough racket. I could be wrong. Where are you at,btw,Todd boobele? And most of all, keep plugging at the process of selection. The other questions are just folderol,frankly.

"I shoot until we're both tired." Wow,not me. I shoot before the exhaustion point. Pardon the misuse of word "falderal," I mean only your other questions are pretty easily researched ( I got so many bookmarks it is cramping,and Borders has a ton) as a "standard hour rate" for the area you live in. For free is worth a try. A young lady of semi pro status (translation= save us both aggravation) offered a 1-1/2 hour shoot in HI,bathing suit shoot, for ca. 65.00 dollars. I like that idea,cause it doesn't require one to commit more time later in post.Especially if he or she is only,well, so- so. Websites or books, there are galore!. I know you can get lots of info on that. Even Greenspun here has a guide to shooting. Checkemout. Aloha, and a happy an prosperous 2006. Pity those who have to make their livelihood with models. I bet it gets wearing fast...