Visiting Mauretania

doemoezi

The part of Mauritania I have been is the Sahel desert area where it was 130 degrees and the wind blowing sand that is like baby powder.I was there photographing reforestation in the desert,so I was out in the heat and sand alot with my photo gear and cameras where exposed to the elements which are very harsh, the baby powder like sand gets into everything ,so be careful about changing lens and keeping film away from the extreme heat,a good camera bag is a must, and I also put gear in gallon freezer bags to keep some of the dust out. I didnt have control over cooling off film cause there was no ice anywhere or ways to freeze icepacks , with digital if youre in the desert I would protect the camera sensor from the creeping dust as much as possible ,you can wrap the camera in plastic wrap to keep out some of the sand,I use plastic garbage bags and gaffer tape .. a camera like the SONY R1 which has a fixed lens will help in not getting sand particles on sensor, since the lens is fixed and wont expose the sensor to open elements with the lens off.I still have a couple of cameras from that shoot that crunch when you focus, even after a CLA,so be carefull about changing lens in the open air too much and be aware fo the sand, that is in your hair,lungs,nose clothes ,food. Some other tips besides heat and sand are dont drink the water, always use your right hand to shake , or pickup food, never use left hand for that. You will be there in March which I think is high wind time, so you will have to contend with extra sand and dust,it is gonna be hot,so have a hat,sunscreen, proper shoes for desert and clothes, if you aint usted to hot climates, pay extra attention to your body signals for heat exhaustion and drink plenty of bottled water.Get all needed shots and malaria meds if needed, I always go to my Dr before a overseas shoot and let them know where Im going and what conditions Im in so if something happens the Dr has a heads up on where I have been and what diseases are in that part of the planet.Have a couple of copies of your passport spread around your stuff in case you loose yours or it gets stolen.I would register my photo gear with customs,this proves you bought the stuff before you left the country and not outside country, where the gov might loose some tax$$$$, it also helps grease the process getting back in the USA,when you show that form with the US customs seal on it, you seem to get thru the line alot quicker, especially if they ask for a reciept,check your insurance to see if you and your gear are covered outside the country, The dust from the blowing sand acted like a big warm diffusion filter over the sun, so the light was great , warm and soft.Have fun.Here are a few helpful links;

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_966.html

http://www.cdc.gov/travel/wafrica.htm

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/clearing_goods/