frank greco

Hi Everyone,

I am a little confused about this problem and I am hoping that maybe

someone might know whats going on. I have the Rebel XT 8 meg and I

have the original lense that came with the package the 18 to 55 and

I also bought the 50mm 1.8 canon lense aswell. Now here is my

problem.

When I shoot an image of a person perfectly still on a tripod I find

that when I load the image into my computer the image is soft.

Slightly out of focus. I have attempted to manual focus as well and

still not sharp. I have tried all the variables and still the same

thing.

Is anyone else experiencing the same problem?

Thanks

Frank

Hi Frank, I don`t know about the 50mm lens, but I get very sharp photos with my 18-55mm Mark II lens. If I get the pre-focus indicator, (green light), hand held or tripod, the shot is sharp. For very long shots, (55-300mm), I use a tripod and cable-release, so as not to get any motion when I push the shutter button. Is the lens you got with your XT the 18-55mm MARK II version? The original EF-S 18-55mm lens, (with the digital Rebel), had the same problems you are having. Happy Hollidays! -Jim

"When I shoot an image of a person perfectly still on a tripod"

Is that with both lenses? If its only with the 50mmf1.8 what f stop are you using? Try taking a shot at f4 if you have not already seen if its better, if you have done this already then never mind. I just thought maybe you are taking shots at f 1.8 and so your DOF is very short/shallow and so you think it is out of focus or soft. I would use f2.2 on up on that lens, as far as the kit lens goes its not the greatest but you should still get some good shots with it. Take care.

DK.

P.s. About your picture above it looks like camera shake to me too.

I also can't believe it wasn't pointed out before. Overall bluriness = shutter speed is the problem. remember that on a Rebel XT, consider to keep your shutter speed a half stop faster than 1/focal length of the lens. so if you are using your lens at 50mm, 1/50th is okay, and 1/80th is better.

Hello again Frank. I took this shot about an hour ago, the sun is very bright here, giving fast shutter speeds. Here are the details; Shooting Mode is Aperture Priority. Shutter speed is 1/640sec. Aperture Value is 8f. Metering Mode is Evaluative. Exposure Composition is -1/3. ISO speed is 200. Lens is 18-55mm II. Focal length is 55mm. Image Quality is Fine. Image size is 3456x2304. White Balance is Auto. Auto Focus Mode is One-Shot AF. PARAMETERS: Tone Curve, is STANDARD. SHARPNESS LEVEL, is 0 (ZERO). Color Tone is Normal. I had the camera mounted on a pretty sturdy tripod, and used the Canon RS60-E3 cable release. I have found that using a tripod and cable release, I can get sharp shots at VERY SLOW shutter speeds. If there is anything else you think I might be able to help with Email me at jmcconnell2@triad.rr.com. Happy Hollidays! Jim McConnell<div>00EQNV-26843684.thumb.jpg.7209775cd0641b7398e656fb6423303c.jpg</div>

• 1 month later...
It really does look like camera shake, doesn't it? You don't say whether you've got multiple focusing points showing in the viewfinder. You might try turning them all off except the center focusing point...then put that point on the subject, maybe stop down for greater d.o.f.