Online Gallery: East Timor

Greeting friends,

<P>

I've returned recently from a trip to East Timor. Now that the rolls have all been processed,

they're finally online. There are two galleries (disclaimer: the one on cockfighting may not

be appropriate for all audiences!) on my site:

<P>

<a href="http://monsoonphoto.net/">http://monsoonphoto.net/</a>

<P>

Your critiques, comments and questions are most welcomed.

<P>

And just to make sure that I'm still on topic at this forum, a Leica M6 and an M2 were used

(and no animals were harmed!). I carried two lenses: a Minolta Rokkor 40/2.0 (mounted on

the M2) and a CV 21/4.0 (on the M6 .58). Almost all shots were done on Kodak 400TX and

souped in D-76.

<P>

Thanks for looking.

Really enjoyed the galleries, great reportage. I also took a look at the Bali photos and the

third in that series is beautiful. Was it shot with the CV 21/4.0 also?

I have another question: Do you find moving between a metered M6 and an unmetered M2

difficult? I as because I'm considering a second body for my M6.

Alan, as per your request:

Critique: More narrative as per your report on Palestinian Refugees in Lebanon please!!

Comment: Excellent photos as always.

Question: Let me know when your first book comes out.

Thanks for sharing - your photography gives me something to shoot for!

Thanks for the comments Juan.

<P>

I think I shifted the third photo not realizing someone was looking at it! If you're referring to

the one of the rice field in the background, yes, it's the CV 21/4.0. The lose up of the farmer

was done on the Rokkor 40/2.0.

<P>

As for metering, I must say I'm really comfortable with my Sekonic handheld. The built-in M6

meter (while a spot meter, and highly accurate) is just a backup for me. I find it faster to

meter with the handheld.

I went back to look at the Bali photos and the farmer in the rice field (#3) is the one I was

talking about. I like that you've added the close-up/portrait of the farmer (#4), it goes really

well after the rice field, and the photo you edited out (another of the farmer and rice field,

but slightly more close up) was not as strong as these two, imo.

Thanks for your thoughts on the metering issue. I'll take another look at the the East Timor

photos and critique.

Quite apart from your very apparent skills as a photographer, you are plainly doing something right -- as a visitor with a camera -- to gain the kind of openness evident in so many of the faces you've pictured.

Excellent photos, Alan. The portraits and shots of children are superb.

Alan,

Some excellent work.

I did find myself curious about a lot of the non-photographic background information of the individual photos. If you have the time and inclination later, I would love to see more cultural/situational descriptions of what might have been going on when you took the photos. Thanks for letting us know.

Alan,

My broader curiosity was about the cultural, racial, religious differences between East Timor and Indonesia. What sense did you get from the people you met on how things have changed for them in terms of being more free to practice 'who' they are now that they are independent from their neighboring behemoth.

On a more specific level, I would love to see any notations or anecdotes you had for the individual photos relating to what moved you to take certain shots, what drew your attention, what interesting reactions or interactions you had with the subjects, more of the personal travel log stuff I guess you would call it :-)

Your photos are excellent and convey a great rapport with your subjects.

Thomas: The trip changed my perceptions of Timor's recent history and where I think it's

headed (not that I'm an authority on this). Some people I met feel that things were much

better under the Indonesians who put in place infrastructure (and ripped it all out when

they left), compared with the Portuguese, who after over 400 years of colonization, left the

country unable to stand on its own feet.

<P>

Some feel that while Indonesian rule was brutal on the political side of things, it was

largely accomodating. The fact that over 90% of Timorese are still Catholics testify to that

point.

<P>

Moving forward, there's some anger toward the truth and reconcilation commission, where

those responsible for the 1999 carnage are given amnesty in exchange for a "truthful"

account of events. The Church in particular, believes that full justice is needed to move

forward. Others however feel that Timor can't survive without economic ties to Indonesia.

As it is, almost all basic products come from Indonesia: water, cooking oil, produce. Timor

would be crippled if it were closed from the Indonesian market.

<P>

Anyway, I'll cut this one short and try to bring this back to photography instead. These

forum postings can get incredibly political. ;-)

<P>

The Timorese are a great people. They have some of the most incredible smiles I've seen

with such great warmth. Walk around with a camera and people will invite you to take their

photo, and then some.

Interesting pictures Alan! and not only from Timor. I especially liked the ones of Tokyo! <p>Interesting to see how people in Asia (or South Am) react to camera compared to Western countries of North hemisphere... and it's not just big cities versus countryside. People in Tokyo or Beijing are so easy to approach with camera compared to those in Paris or New York... we, westerners, lost something very important!