Vivi 285 Randomly Stopped Working, can i do anything?

evan_ryan1

Can you hear the capacitors charging? If not and you are so inclined, open the flash and check the electrical connections. I had an issue with an older 285 where I had to re-form the capacitor ... set the flash to manual and fire off 20 flashes. If you can't get it going, it's probably not worth the repair bill so just find another on eBay.

Yes, the capacitors charging is that sound that comes from the flash that increases in frequency as you wait for the ready light. That means that there is a problem before the capacitors. As others have suggested, try cleaning the contacts, and do as much inspection as you dare, but be careful as capacitors can hold a lethal charge for a long time.

Hello,

I'd be really careful about opening it up. Even if you've pressed the flash test button many many times after you've turned it off, and nothing happens, there could still be a lethal charge left in the capacitors, and it won't disappear overnight, or even over a few weeks or months.

You'd have to put some sort of load between the contacts I think, to get rid of the charge safely. There are instructions for this online but I'm not well versed in electrical equipment so when the contacts on the shoe of my Vivitar 283 gave up on me I bought a slave trigger to use with it instead.

With My Regards, Clarence