To describe a little of my personality, I would say that:

1) I don�t like using flashes, but at the same time I find it so

beautiful to take pictures with scarce light, like at night or indoor

2) I often portrait architecture and close details of things and

people (like signs, faces, details of buildings). I like to get very

close to things to take pictures.

3) I had a brief experience with a zoom and I could really

appreciate how easy it is at times getting things closer to you just

clicking on a button instead of walking half a mile!

4) Based on that, I started wondering how many effects you can

add to your photos with a zoom, which can increase the personality of

the shot, like drama, tension, or sense of investigation, and I will

develop my skills on this territory too.

So after a lot of reading on the internet, including this web site, I

thought that just for a start I would need at least two lenses, a

prime and a zoom, and they would be a Nikkor AF 50mm 1.4D and

hopefully if I get lucky and save the money a Nikkor 17/35 f 2.8D.

Later on I would add a tele, like a Nikkor 85mm 1.4D or a Nikkor 105mm

f 2D DC.

And later on again� who knows what.

I already find that the D1X is so heavy to carry around that I would

not bring along in a journey more than two lenses. My aim is to remain

an amateur, but with a good improvement in a few years I might change

my mind and finally buy a big leather trunk and load it with lenses

and cameras!

I�d just like to make one step at a time in any case.

I would appreciate it if you will lend me you comments and opinions on

how my choices would fit the purpose or if there are better choices of

lenses around, even preferable to the Nikon brand.

Thank you so much for your attention and patience.

Francesco

You can use a zoom lens to get "closer" to a subject that is otherwise unapproachable (in a zoo, for example). However, the best "effect" you get is to crop in the camera after you have set up the composition.

The 17-35/2.8 is an excellent, all-around lens for city scenes with a D1x, considering the cropping factor. It is lens I use the most. For landscapes, the 28-70/2.8 makes a good companion to the 17-35 - extremely sharp and negligible distortion. The 85/1.4 is an expensive lens, comparable in price to the 28-70/2.8 and nearly as heavy, and IMO best suited for niche situations. It is on the long side for portraits with a D1x. The 105 DC is intended as a portrait lens for 35mm. It is much too long for that purpose with a 1.5x cropping factor.

I carry a 50/1.4 for those conditions I need the speed or shallow depth of field, or perhaps something less obtrusive than an f/2.8 zoom. I've used it twice in the last two years.

The D1x weighs about the same as my F5 - big deal. I use a wide, Op-Tech strap, which is relatively comfortable and easily removed for use with a tripod or flash bracket. When I do a lot of walking, I cradle the lens in my left elbow, to take some weight off my neck and to keep it from swinging.

"a big leather trunk" - that's a thought. Personally, I'd suggest a LowePro Pro Roller for general schlepping, or a backpack for foot travel. No one bag fits all - I travel with one of these, plus a shoulder bag for day use. I have Lightware "trunks" for view cameras and lights - lighter than leather, but still hard to carry.

You might get lucky with something other than Nikon - grade C quality with grade B features - but there are more dogs than gems. Nikon lenses are built better for the same performance, and generally perform better as well. You pay your money - you take your choice.

Francesco,

Welcome to the Nikon Digital World. You have a fine camera and your list of lenses is a good choice too. I have the AF 50 1.4D, great lens, but with the 1.5 Crop factor of the digital sensor of the D1X, it shoots like a 75mm lens, which would work great for portraits. A lower cost alternative to the 1.4D is the 1.8D. Its one stop slower, just as sharp image wise and 1/3 the cost of the 1.4.

I myself would love to have the 17-35 2.8, great zoom from everything I have read. I can't tell you about the 85 or the 105, don't have them. I do have some other lenses you may wish to add to your list, some I have and others I still want to get.

1.) Nikon AF 35 f/2, the normal lens for DSLRs that the 50 f/1.4 or 1.8 is for SLRs. Don't have one, but its on the list.

2.) Nikon AF-S 24-120 f/3.5-5.6 G VR. I have this one, great walk around lens for general use.

3.) Nikon 35-70 f/3.3-4.5. I used to have this lens. Tack sharp although not fast like its 2.8 cousin. Macro thru the entire zoom range. Wish I still had it. The 35-70 f/2.8 is a good high speed zoom. I have this one, but have not gotten the same results with it as i did with the slower speed version mentioned above.

4.) Nikon AF 70-300 f/4-5.6 D. Great Supertelephoto Zoom. I have this one also. Works like a champ and hand holdable. Don't get the "G" version of this lens, it isn't near as good as the "D".

5.) Nikon 80-200 f/2.8. Fast telephoto zoom. Don't have this one yet, but someday hope too.

I have the D1 myself, the first version of your D1X. Yeah, its heavy, I used to carry a Nikon F-401s (4004s in the US) and it is light compared to the D1. I use a Tamrac N-45 strap myself. I like the quick release ends and the leather padding.

As a reference guide, I have the "Magic Lantern Guides, Nikon Lenses" 2nd Edition by B. Moose Peterson. The book is dated some and should be updated one of these days. This book is a great reference for many of the better Nikon AF and MF lenses.

All of the lenses we have talked about here were designed for 35mm SLRs. The newer DX lenses that Nikon has made are strictly for DSLRs, because the have a tighter lens barrel and will vignet on a film SLR.

In my own opinion, I think its better to stay with the film SLR compatible lenses becuase they have a tried and true build history. Plus, you may just get yourslef a good Nikon Film SLR one day to go with your D1X and you would be able to share lenses between them without any problems. Who knows, maybe Nikon will build a full frame Digital Sensor someday and these DX lenses will be obsoleted.

Good luck on you lens quest.

I have recently bought a couple of D1X and they are lovely cameras.

I have used loads of lenses on it, but i find the best to be the Nikon 18-70 DX lens. Lovely and light, seems much sharper than on my D70, but who knows I might be concentrating more.

Agree its not the fastest of lense but has a good range, some distortion at either end, but nothing bad IMO. Do you really need a f2.8 lens its only about 1 and 1/3 stops slower and the D1X can easily have the ISO bumped up a stop or so.

Also IMO the nikon 50mm f1.8 is sharper than the f1.4, do you need the extra bit of light?

From reading your list above could you do all that with 1 lens?

1. night and indoor = fast lens

2. archetecture photographs = wide with no distortion or a set of bellows?

3. a reasonable zoom.

For this request you are going to have to spend big bucks or comprimise a little.

Andy

Edward, Charlie and Andrew, thank you very much for your advise. I have just purchased a used "mint" 50mm 1.4D and this is my very first lens ever! Andrew, perhaps the 1.4D is not as sharp as the 1.8D but I really like shooting in churches and museums and other places where flashes are not allowed, and to make portraits in the dark so perhaps this is a good investment for reasonable money. Also I will look forward to finding the 18/70mm as it shouldn't cost too much if I find it used. Charlie, I hope to become soon a good photographer so to have an excuse ti purchase all the zooms that you have, at least to give them a try, in the meantime I will look forward to finding that book. I agree with you that perhaps the lenses produced for digital camers still need to be adequately tested, while the old ones still remain today the most versatile. Edward, if I am able to find a good 17/35 for about $600 I may consider taking it, otherwise I will just opt for a 18/35 wich costs one third and with the saved money buy a wide angle, so that I will be set for a while. What do you think? I wish one day I'll go for a Roller... it will prove that I have gone further on with my skills as a photographer!