Digital workflow etc

I think if/when the price of EOS 5D drops further, it will be time for

me to go digital. I've been using a couple of EOS film cameras and a

handful of EF primes.

I have a few generel questions about digital photography at this stage.

Is it better to buy a printer or send the files to a lab? Do labs in

the US do a good enough job or would I need to look for a good one, as

with film? I'll need about 50 4x6" and one or two bigger ones (about

8x12) per month. In case I'm better off buying my own printer, what

would be a good one?

What about B&W: do color printers take B&W in stride?

I'm generally pretty happy with my slides. From the last roll of

Provia, I've kept 35. Is it conceivable then to eliminate Photoshop

for cases when I don't want to down-size for the Web etc. and print

straight out of the camera? Or do people find that the quality of

modern DSLRs show up the defects that film used to forgive and

post-processing is really a necessity?

A suggestion for a good book would be welcome too.

Thanks a lot!

David,

Using CS-2 Bridge, Image Processor and a few actions you can pretty much automate the whole process.

<p>

1. Select Images in Bridge and launch ACR set WB exposure, contrast ext for base image then select all and apply to remaining images. Choose �Done� and close ACR

<P>

2. In Bridge choose Tools �Photoshop-Image Processor. When Bridge launches choose JPEG and enter 1800 in both the width and height boxes and select level 10 and (sRGB if necessary). At the bottom of the menu you�ll find an option for applying an action. Choose the appropriate sharpening action and hit ok.

<P>

3. When Image processor is finished simply upload the JPEGs to Mpix, Adorama, ext and pay for your order

<P>

4. Then just wait, your prints should be delivered in 3-5 days.

<P>

Printer vs. Lab - This is debatable. I use a lab, but I can't fault others for using their home printers.

If you go to lab, you do need to find a good one. A&I (aandi.com) in SoCal is excellent, but not cheap. If you're happy with where you have your slides processed, you may want to inquire about their digital services.

50/month 4x6 and 1 or 2 large prints - again, my personal preference is a lab, this shouldn't be a problam for either a GOOD home printer or a GOOD lab. You'd have to do a cost analysis on which one is more cost-effective.

B&W - several ways to do this, such as Black-only printing and dedicated printers with dedicated quadtone inksets (Piezography, MIS, etc...)

Post-processing - I believe this is where digital becomes its own science/art. While yes, you can ceate jpegs straight from the camera to the web, your prints, especially large one, will require some amount of post-processing.

I think it's safe to say that a successful digital photographer MUST have some proficiency in the digital post-processing workflow.

Books - I'd say get a book that goes into digital darkroom techniques. You can search the PN archives.

KL

With a DSLR you'll want to do at least some post-processing. That's half the point of having

one rather than a digicam that does all your thinking for you. If you just want to print all the

images straight from the camera and you are confident of your capturing skills, then why not

stay with film?

> why not stay with film?

The biggest problem is processing. I've tried a few labs and the better ones do acceptable 4x6's. However even 5x7's look really poor. The reason is, they scan the film (to about 1Mb I reckon) and print the scans. Why wouldn't they scan to high res? I don't know (even at 4x6 I can sometimes see digitally-looking edges)

To add insult to injury, for the few shots that I do want to have digitized, I'd need to pay again, to have them re-scan those!