library fundraiser

john_pyle1

Hired by a marketing company on Sat night for a black tie well to do fundraiser. Want me to

photography candid shots, cocktail party, some of the speaker...etc. There will be 120

people. Have 20d, with 580 flash, canon 24-70mm L series f/2.8. Any advice or

suggestions for the shoot. Want to impress!... and no repsonse is to elementary for me.

Thanks for all your input.

I will check out the other post also. The setting is actually in the new library here in the

city....at night. High ceilings, everyone in black dresses and tuxedos. Just want to make

sure I got all bases covered. Don't want a bunch of white bright faces and do I need my

70-200mm!?

If I had an assistant, I would double light and drag the shutter both--but that's me. The off camera lights would come in handy for the speaker. You wouldn't need the long telephoto zoom for anything except possibly the speaker. You can't always count on being able to get up close to where he or she is speaking. Also try to find out if he or she will be raised on a stage, in which case, you might need to bring a stepladder if the angle from floor level to the speaker is too extreme. If you don't double light, a flash diffuser for the on-camera combined with shutter drag would be the way to go for the candids and party pix. The white faces come from not compensating your flash correctly for the mostly black values the camera will see. The black backgrounds come from not employing shutter drag and not watching your backgrounds. Without posing everyone, if a different angle will get you a lighter background, you move or ask the people to move a little. I would also set up room lights during the reception if there is to be dancing, or even just to open up backgrounds for the candids.

People who are donating money want pictures of themselves. In addition to candids, catch peoples eye and take a picture of them. Small informal groups are always good. Find out from the person running the fundraiser who the important people are. Asking, "Hi, may I take your picture?" is an old technique that still has a place in event photography. You should only need the 24-70 lens. A Stofen and some bounce should give you good light.

If you want to make a good impression, dress appropriately: dress black shirt and pants or a suit and tie.

John - when posting an image - you will see there are instructions there on how to post an image. Please make sure the image is 511 pixels in width or less and remember to use a caption in the caption box so the image will show up in the forum as an image and not as a link.

Thanks.. Mary Ball