whats up with the critique requests in the forums?!?!?!?!?

ranong

as much as my ego would like to post requests for critiques in the

forums i do not!!!!! i use the critique forum!!!!

come on people!

come on moderators!

what if everyone posted critiques in the forums? perhaps we should

all do this to gain some attention for our photos.....

my rant

eddie

Eddie,

I guess we let our egos get the best of us.... I am fairly new here and didnt relize that you are not suppose to ask for help here. I thought that was what the forum is for? I am not out to gain attention to my photos but looking for honest suggestions, whether good or bad for my photos. The ones I put on the critique forum last night only recieved comments beacause I posted them here first. Most pictures in that forum seem to only get rated with a number but not verbal critique. I got alot of great advise on my pictures and I greatly appreicitated it.

Elaine Marie

I usualy hang out on the wedding forum and over there they are always posting pictures and web sites for others to look at and critque. Its fun to share and see what others are doing, and help each other out with ideas.You dont have to go to my ( or others) portfolio and look at my pictures just because I asked. I guess the wedding photographers are just nicer people to hang with.

Have a nice Day Eddie Gunks!!!!!!!!!!!!<div>00Eigs-27275484.jpg.46358581be4e070f13813d64f36bce8b.jpg</div>

I posted critiques in this forum because I seen others post critiques and no one ever asked them not to. I haven't posted any since I was told that I wasn't supposed to. One could say that started a thread just to air a rant is another way of getting attention for your photos. How else can a beginner learn if they don't post their photos?

Elaine-I actually found your photo in the critique forum and commented from there. What a cute photo you just posted! I love the bears.

Since it is most difficult these days to get a critique in the critique forums, I don't see the problem with posting photos on individual forums that are more geared toward a particular subject. As was mentioned, the wedding forum asks for help with web sites as well as photos, and people seem to enjoy helping.

I would think on a forum such as the People Photography Forum, it would be appropriate to ask for lighting or posing suggestions, and what better way to illustrate than to post a photo? Any Comments?

Best Regards, and Happy New Year.<div>00EinQ-27278084.jpg.da71bf832cb2e5aeb64385c7c9c73c6b.jpg</div>

Please read the "About this forum" section to the right on the forum home page. It is made very clear that this is not a critique forum.<p>

<i>Since it is most difficult these days to get a critique in the critique forums, I don't see the problem with posting photos on individual forums that are more geared toward a particular subject.</i><p>

And this would quickly turn every forum into a barrage of critique requests. It's not going to happen here.

<I>"And this would quickly turn every forum into a barrage of critique requests."</I>

<P>

I believe it has been stated by the moderator that critique requests are allowed in the Leica forum. So perhaps it's best to check in each forum as to the policy.

"...now, i'm confused. what exactly can we use this forum for?..."

assuming you mean Picture related items...you could post a pic and NOT ask for a critique. The words/no words (w/nw) post is the typical method. Besides, someone will surely offer a critique on one of those even if you don't ask for it.

Is it semantics?

How is "discussing" different than critiquing? In my American Heritage Dictionary, for critiquing it says, "A critical discussion of some specific topic." Shouldn't this be a place to learn and receive comments on how to do better the next time? How does a number show that?

I belong to several "Pro" groups and they all discuss/critique on ways to improve from all aspects of photography. Sure, they have compeition but it's not the centerpiece that determines the primary function of the organization.

I find that amateur photo clubs are more point and judging oriented. Why is that? Do the pros want to learn more and the amateurs have it all figured out?

Here is what it says in the first paragraph:

"This forum is for discussing photographs of people including portraits, street photography, and candid photography. Wedding and event photography is covered in this forum, so please post on that forum if you have questions in those areas."

Let's all strive to learn from each other here.

GREAT PICTURE Elaine! How did you get your name at the bottom corner? I am brand new at this - I have a 4 month old that I love to photograph, so I am getting into photography as a whole. I bought a Canon Rebel XT and I am researching local labs that I could get great prints at. But I am missing the software. It seems that Adobe Photoshop is the way to go as far as a program to doctor up pictures. Is that correct? Any help/advise by anyone will certainly be appreciated.

Bill

I fully agree with you. Lets all strive to learn here! Because of my pictures I posted in my original post, I got alot of good info on cropping and contrast and Alicia wants to learn more about photoshop and taking pictures of her new baby. If we dont share pictures here and ask for ideas and comments than how can we learn? I think everyone is confused here now. I think the monitor needs to come back on and clear this up. It says that wedding stuff can be discussed here but if you'll notice they tend to stay over on their forum....I know why now.

Alicia,

Yes, photoshop is a great thing for digital photography. I have only the photoshop elements but it serves my needs and is afordable(under$100) Some day I hope I can upgrade but the cost is enourmous. Good luck to you with your new found loves(baby and Photography).Hope to see some of your work in the critique forum soon ...that is if I can find them.

Elaine Marie<div>00EjbC-27301284.jpg.c8c2824413fd62b8248ceef3846e1542.jpg</div>

well, I think he cleared it up. We can post a photo for critique as long as we place w/nw in the subject line. So, it's not the posting of photos for critique that's not allowed in this forum. It's our use of the word 'critique'. That makes all difference! BTW, I find the critique forum to be of little to no help. I have posted 2 photos in the last week and neither of them have any comments and only 5 ratings each.

just remember what a w/nw post is. It's a post with a pic that you call out a theme...or some people just "wildcard" it...that others will post their pic hopefully with the same theme. that would be the "no words" variety of responses......then others will say something, that would be the "words" variety of responses to your post<br><br>however, usually you get a mix of both, so they are truely w/nw.....such as this one I did <a href="http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=009Jg5&tag="><u>w/nw - yawns</u></a>

Now I've never been accused of being at the top of the gene pool, but if the forum says it's for the discussing of photographs of people, wouldn't you expect there to be some photographs of people to discuss? I'm not sure you can discuss a photograph unless there is one. Now, if you want the forum to be about discussing the ACT of photographing people, I guess you can ban photos and lose most of the participants, because all the other aspects (equipment, lighting, events, philosophy, standing on one foot) are already covered in other forums, which all allow photos. And it's really not about gaining attention for our photos. Mine get plenty of inattention as it is, thank you. Cheers.

"...So, what was the point?..."

as you said, fun.

I personally think that if you treat photography as fun, the rest will come. Yes, you have to learn the techniques, but once you get to a certain point in your knowledge and ability, your attitude towards the art of photography and your attitude towards the subject tends to come thru in the pic, whether you want it to or not. So, if you treat it as technique, that;s what the pic will look like......pure technique. If you treat it as fun, as something that you thoroughly enjoy doing, that's what will come thru in the final pic.

Now, which pic described above do you think that people will enjoy more? So, just by how they answer I learn if I'm going in the right direction.

I think perhaps that you might be on that line between learning the basics that require an actual critique (and you're not getting it on the critique forums because perhaps the techique oriented have nothing to say).........and learning how to put a feeling into a pic using all the techniques you know already. That's where I think the w/nw post come in. You find out if you've "connected" with your audience.

There's some serious misunderstanding here. What is not allowed is posting of a photo with the title "Critique this" or "What do you think?" There are some good reasons for not turning this into another critique forum. It's very different to post a photo and ask about the lighting used, or the blur that occurs, or something else. But generic critique requests are different than that, especially when it's family happy snaps.

Okay

Subject settled! This topic has been at the top of the list for 2 days now. I think everyone has been afraid to post. I even have had people emailing me because they are afraid to post their picture questions. So please someone start a new post and lets move on with helping each other!

Elaine Marie

• 2 weeks later...

Igor, I used to really enjoy your posts. I'm sorry you stopped.

Jeff, I appreciate that you want serious meaningful discussions of photos rather than just a

bulletin board for snap shots. However, as long as the request for critique genuinely

sought constructive feedback, and the responders provide thoughtful constructive

feedback, I'd really enjoy and I believe benefit from such posts. I haven't posted here in a

while, because I perceived that my posts weren't really welcome. For example, I'd like

thoughtful feedback on this shot, but have stayed away. Can't there be some sort of

compromise?