Making digital negs from DSLRs

Thanks guys,

I do miss film! It would be nicer though if we didn't have to process and scan it. So, I guess a better digital would do, huh?

With respect to making Platinum prints and other types of alt process contact prints, it is said the quality is superior of that of a straight digital print. That's the reason I would go through that trouble. I'll have to test that and see what happens. (I would still need to set up a whole wet lab processing area for that.)

And yes. I am looking to print onto matte papers -- watercolors, etc.

Yes, there certainly is sufficient information from a digital camera; even the outdated D1X (I use this camera). I have made many prints from digital negatives that originated from the D1X; onto silver, platinum and even Daguerreotypes. Not to stir up another debate, but for the most part, good digital camera images appear sharper than images shot onto 35mm film.

The main issue for printing using digital negatives is creating an appropriate correction curve for the target process (silver gelatin, kallitype, platinum, etc). Each process has its own response curve, and this curve needs to be measured and corrected in the digital negative in order to make a negative with the precise densities for an excellent print.

If you have access to a silver darkroom, it is fairly easy to start by printing onto silver gelatin. I recommend using Pictorico High Gloss White film for the negative and an inexpensive grade 2 RC paper for your first prints. The basic steps are included in my article on "Digital Negatives for Silver Printing" that can be found at www.digital-negatives.com.

Please let me know if you have any success and if I can help.