1600 ISO comparison

bill_kleimen

Interesting, but the conclusion is strange: I see that the resolution of the d2x is clearly superior to d50 and d70 at 1600... Noise can mostly be removed with software, but you can't bring back resolution.

But if it makes someone feel good about their d50, fine.

I think we all know already, d2h and d2x are both very noisy at high iso, and this reduces usable dynamic range. The d2 series is about getting the shot (exposure, focus, white balance, flash, handling, all are optimised), and the d50/d70(/d200?) are excellent cameras in a different way.

Les, big deal indeed. This camera is marketed at those who may not have the savvy or desire to perform noise reduction themselves and would look elsewhere if the camera were noisier than the competition's. Good for Nikon for knowing their audience.

Christophe, I'm with you on the resolution - clearly higher on the D2x, despite the noise. Looks like the D2x resolves to the "6" level on the cross type figures, while the D70 barely resolves the "5" level.

These results aren't really meaningful, because they are incomplete. The test conditions specify that each camera was set to "Nikon defaults." The D2X has a special high ISO noise reduction function, but it is NOT enabled as a default. This is presumably because many D2X users will prefer to trade off noise for resolution at the capture stage and then carry out further NR in post-processesing. So a meaningful comparison would include a fourth shot with the D2X's high ISO NR feature enabled.

Chris