Quick question before I buy used 500cm

jason_enn

I'm just about to put in order in at KEH for a: HASSELBLAD - 500CM BLACK LATE WITH

WAISTLEVEL, RAPID WINDING CRANK, 80 F2.8 CF T*(B60), A12 BACK, MEDIUM FORMAT SLR

MANUAL FOCUS CAMERA OUTFIT

for $559 in "Bargain" condition" and an extra A12 back in "bargain" condition for another

$79.

For anyone that has bought used Hasselblad equipment from KEH, what have your

experiences been with "bargain" grade equipment? I've read here that they are

conservative in ratings, but for someone that doesn't really mind if the camera has

cosmetic marks is it worth the extra $250-$300 for the same setup in "Excellent"

condition?

I am buying from Canada, and for a package of this value, is UPS air a better choice than

Fedex? I've heard to stay away from UPS ground at all costs, but the more expensive UPS

air works out to be the cheapest, even to Fedex ground?

Thanks.

I haven't bought a lot from KEH, but I trust them based on my experience so far and their

unusually good reputation on various forums.

I strongly recommend that you insist on FedEx - UPS brokerage fees can be over $100CDN. I

won't buy anything online that has to be shipped via UPS.

I've read that shipping by UPS Worldwide Express (Air), that all fees are included. KEH seems

to charge a rate of about $30 for UPS Air, and that is a great deal if it includes all fees. I saw

Fedex's chart for brokerage fees, and for an item of this value, they would charge around $40

+ the shipping cost of $20.

I just wanted to double check about the Express = no more fees, because I've read conflicting

reports.

KEH "bargain" grade equipment if supposed to be fully functional but cosmetically challenged. If you don't mind some battle scars, go ahead. The optics are supposed to be free of any damage. If you don't like what you get, KEH will refund or exchange your purchase - you pay the shipping. If you feel the item has been mis-classified, KEH will cover the shipping if they agree.

Personally, I think "excellent" is a better choice for primary gear, but have received some very good "bargain" stuff too. In either case, a factory CLA of camera, back and lens is a good idea - and will save you money in the long run. If Hasselblad finds hidden damage, take it up with KEH before you pay for the repairs.

KEH is a fantastic vendor. I've purchased many Mamiya 645 items from them - some bargain. No problems. I don't own a Hasselblad (yet).

Still, I might be inclined to purchase an already serviced Hasselblad from David Odess. I've never purchased from him, but I've seen a number of posts on pnet from folks who have. So run a quick search and get first-hand accounts. All I can offer is hearsay.

http://www.david-odess.com/sales.html

Robert

I bought two lenses in Bargain condition from KEH: a Leica and a Pentax 67 lens. The Leica lens was from the mid-1960s, and it looked/functioned in what i would consider 'Excellent' condition. The Pentax lens, though, was pretty ugly on the outside. It did have perfect glass and functioning, though.

KEH is fantastic. If you get something you can't live with, return it and try again. For me, the Bargain-rated stuff is either a great opportunity, or a small amount of lost time if you choose to exchange it.

I would not, though, buy a lens back in Bargain condition. Light seals are critical, and it's not such a great deal if you have to worry about replacing them soon. Spend a little more and get a bit more peace of mind.

I recently purchased a 500cm kit piece by piece from KEH. The first body had to be returned because one of the rear shutter doors was warped (excellent condition). The first lens (80 cf bargain) had to be returned due to a nick on the rear element. They took the items back without complaint though it took a seemingly rediculous three weeks to get credited. They did speed things up when I emailed, though the guy in the returns dpt. did say that returns were being processed very slowly lately.

I dealt with Arthur, and he could not have been more accomodating and patient. I didn't want to keep paying shipping on lenses so he had them sent to his office one by one until he found one with good glass. This was not a quick process, but if you're patient, it's well worth the wait.

The upshot of all this is that I now have a beautiful 500cm outfit that I got for a great price... though it took a month to get it!

Hi Ravi,

I bought that EXACT kit one year ago this week from KEH in Bargain condition, and I have been exceptionally pleased! (It was almost $200 more a year ago--prices are really dropping!) There have been no problems with the items.

I would buy it with confidence. It will be used, but not abused, and if you have any issues or even if you simply dislike it, they will take it back.

Enjoy.

Jeremy

I recently bought 3 polaroid backs, one Hassey and two NPC. The Hassey was rated Bargain and the NPC's were ugly... They Hassy showed some wear but looks pretty good. The NPC's are ugly... one of the slides is a homemade replacement and both have seen a LOT of use. But they both appear to work fine.