SLR Camera Bag for Mountain Biking (Preferably with Hydration)

crsouser

<p>

I am interested in ideas for what people would suggest for a bag or

combination of bags to accomodate the equipment I need for myself, my

camera, and for my <a

href="http://www.santacruzmtb.com/blurxc/">bike</a> when mountain biking.

</p>

<p>

I have seen a <a

href="http://www.google.com/custom?hl=en&lr=&ie=ISO-8859-1&oe=ISO-8859-1&client=pub-1734703147688622&cof=FORID%3A1%3BL%3Ahttp%3A%2F%2Fwww.photo.net%2Fgraphics%2Fanimated_photonet_logo.gif%3BGL%3A1%3BBGC%3AFFFFFF%3BT%3A%23000000%3BLC%3A%230066cc%3BVLC%3A%23336633%3BALC%3A%230066cc%3BGALT%3A%230066CC%3BGFNT%3A%23666666%3BGIMP%3A%23666666%3BDIV%3A%23999999%3BLBGC%3AFFFFFF%3BAH%3Acenter%3BS%3Ahttp%3A%2F%2Fwww.photo.net%2F%3B&domains=www.photo.net&q=Bike+Camera&btnG=Search&sitesearch=www.photo.net">few

other posts on Photo.net </a> regarding biking, but when I say

'<b>mountain biking</b>', I don't mean riding my mountain bike through

a field or across town. I literally mean 5-10 hour rides on single and

double track trails through the remote mountains of Alaska with

variable weather, rough trail <i>(logs, roots, rocks, streams,

gullies, thick brush)</i>, etc.

</p>

<p>

I also don't want to feel like I am touring, so panniers and or/a bob

trailer are not an option.

</p>

<p>

I basically want to bring the following:<br>

<br>

<ul>

<li>Canon 20D w/extra batteries & compact flash card.

<li>28-200 Aspherical lens and possibly a Marco Lens from time to time.

<li>Hydration System 2-3 liters and in some cases a water filter

<li>Two Spare Bike Tires and basic bike tool kit.

<li>A Lightweight jacket.

<li>Enough Energy Bars to get me through the day

</ul>

</p>

<p>

I currently have many hydration packs with no gear capacity to several

<a

href=http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?storeId=8000&catalogId=40000008000&productId=47993779&parent_category_rn=4500808&vcat=REI_SEARCH">918cu</a>-<a

href="http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?storeId=8000&catalogId=40000008000&productId=47989700&parent_category_rn=4500632&vcat=REI_SEARCH">1495cu

</a>inches of it.. They are not waterproof, but they work. I also

shudder at the idea of paying $200-400 for the <a

href="http://www.lowepro.com/Products/Backpacks/waterproof/DryZone_Rover.aspx">Lowepro

Dryzone Rover</a>.

</p>

<p>

So all that said.. what have other people done to protect their camera

from the elements and possible 'crashes' on their bike without turning

out hundreds of dollars for a very specialized bag?

</p>

<p>

I have seen people use the chest mounted one on nice days and I admit

it does work well. It doesn't protect your camera from the elements

and it would very likely be destroyed in any 'real crash' as well as

possibly injurying you.

</p>

<p>

Any creative ideas?

</p>

Christopher

A LowePro Minitrekker or Microtrekker might be worth a look. Both are well padded and have the AW (All-Weather) cover. Once you pull the AW cover out, the bag is virtually rainproof. I walked in the rain for hours once using the AW cover, and the bag stayed dry. The Dryzone bag is more for rafting and kayaking where it might get dunked. The Orion backpack is a little bigger, but compartmentalized, so you could separate your camera gear from your bike gear.

I don't know if any bag is proof against a serious crash, but LowePro bags have about the best padding, and a reasonably good harness and support. Chest bags (which also have AW covers) interfere with cooling - I'd die on a bike. It's bad enough to cover so much of your back.

I'm in a similar situation and use a lowe-pro top-loader pack attached to the straps of my camelbak with mini-karabina-type-things. This has a signficiant advantage over any kind of backpack since you can get the camera much more quickly. I have had several serious crashes an whilst using this configuration and I've found that I tend to shield this area fairly effectively with my arms and I've had no equipment damage so far. There are burton and dakine packs that are designed for photogs whilst skiing or boarding and they are popular but are overkill for the amount of gear you'r carrying. Another possibility is lowe-pro computrekker - sound odd but works well as the hydration bladder fits in the computer poclet. The most 'creative' system I've seen used a large waist pack and wrapped the cam in bits of foam bed-roll.

Chris

Unless you have a waterproof Nikonos camera, mixing H20 and camera equipment in one bag is not highly recommended.

You may be able to find a water-proof bag or box to hold your water supply, leaving your camera somewhat available to use when you need it.

You might want to take a look at the Deuter line of bike bags.

I use their Trans-Alpine; it's a 30 litre bag with a section for hydration,

a rain cover, several useful compartments for camera gear, food, clothing,

a dedicated helmet carrier on the rear, and so forth. There is a 20 litre

bag as well.

I carry an old, manual, easily replaceable SLR with 28 and 50mm lenses.

I find it useful for both my biking and for general backpacking for those

times when a smaller bag will do. I also find it comfortable for up to

about 10k.

I would also add a couple of "buts":

I vote with gerald about putting photo gear in the same space with

liquids. I had 1 experience with this combination (all the safeguards

in place) and it didn't turn out well.

I bicycle cross-country but I do not do the kind of mountain biking that

you describe. I suppose that the Trans-Alpine might help you out in

a crash, but your camera/lens would suffer a worse fate.

For my more leisurely riding (30 - 40kms) this bag serves me. As to how

comfortable it might be for you and your far more active riding only

you can answer.

Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks everyone for the great variety of answers.

The Deuter and the Mountain Smith Quantum look like reasonable alternatives too.

Since then I have been continuing to play around and as well actually broke down and picked up a used Lowepro Rover Drybag on eBay for about half price. The thing is 'huge' for a cycling bag and getting the padded camera compartment out of the 'drybag' section is combersome to say the least, or even just the camera for that matter. So if I was biking and saw a great shot, it would probably be gone by the time I got the camera out. I am still going to give it a try though once spring gets here. The Hydration pack was also only just over a liter. I was thinking I might be able to use a larger one, but it doesn't really leave room for it. On the other hand the Dryzone Rover makes a great commuter/cyclist backpack as you can stick your work clothes in the drybag and don't have to deal with waterproof panniers.

Right now though I am using the Rover and a courier bag for getting around town (city riding) even though I know it is not protected as well as I would like it. I am guessing what I am actually going to end up doing this summer on 'nicer days' is using a Lowepro toploader and sticking it in a garbage bag inside my camelback or something purely for speed of access. We'll see. Thanks again everyone for the responses.

• 2 months later...

I have the LowePro Rover and I am an avid mountain biker...both cross country and downhill. I was disappointed with the Rover. The waterproof part is cool, but the bad is too big IMO for serious MTB. It makes a general waterproof photo pack, but doesn't seem like it was designed by an extreme sports person. The hydration insert sucks, but you could rip it out and replace with one from Dakine or Camelback, etc...

This one looked pretty cool for MTB...

http://www.shuttertalk.com/articles/katar102/index.php

Otherwise I might just use a standard dakine pack. They make a Hydration pack for downhillers that has a lot more room which would be ideal and is a real MTB pack.