Another lens question...

katieo

Hi, Everyone. I am shopping for a new lens for my Canon Rebel XT.

I am getting started with some small-town weddings. I have the kit

lens 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 which does pretty well. I also have a 35-80

which was from my 35mm and is not sharp at all, an 80-200mm f/4.5-

5.6, a 100mm Macro f/3.5, and a 2x teleconverter. The area I think

I need to fill the most is between the 55mm and 80mm (128 on

digital. I have heard alot of recommendations for the 50mm f/1.8,

so should I get that or a zoom like the Sigma 28-70 f/2.8-4 DG? I

would greatly appreciate any advice!!!

Thanks,

Katie

Hi Katie,

You will need a fast lens of some type for available light photos inside (Church). A 3.5 or 4.5 will not cut it for best image quality you will need to get a 2.8 as wide as you can get to about 70 or 80 mm. What ever is available and you can afford. Tamron or Sigma make a sharp lens for a not too bad price.

Good luck!!

It's generally "better" to have a prime lens. That is, the quality is often better for the same

price. A top-of-the-line modern zoom lens with a constant aperture of f2.8 or so will be just

as sharp for most of your needs, but it will be more expensive. And no one has yet made an

f1.4 zoom lens that I'm aware of.

Hi again Katie,

I would say that thats about the best buy I have seen. Read over the stats on that lens and see how it compares to Sigma or Tamron as far as which one is the sharpest. You may check in on ebay before you buy and see what you can find used.A used is pretty bullet proof just look for a good one. Hope your weddings go well for you.

So if I get the 50mm/1.8 now and look into more prime lenses after I do a few weddings, would that be a good way to go? After looking into the Tokina, I am not sure on the quality. The Canon prime will definitely be better quality and it seems everyone prefers primes. It is awesome to get your feedback, pnet photographers!

I personally wouldn't get all primes. I have one 50 1.4 Prime but all my other lenses (three of them) are fast zooms. Most important lens is my 70-200 2.8 IS Canon.

More important is that you have fast lenses and then consider your style.

I like to stay back and zoom in so that I don't stop conversations or intimate moments. I zoom with my lens and not my feet. That's my style and so zooms work best for me.

I live in Sioux Falls, SD, a city of about 120,000, the biggest in the state and all we have is a Harold's. I believe they do rent some equipment though. I will check into that, Larry.

Thanks, Mary. I am thinking if I get the 50/1.8 now then I can save for a faster zoom.

Katie,

I own the Tokina 28-70 f/2.8 and have not had very good luck with it. The focus is unreliable at 28 mm, so in order to ensure that I've focused on what I want, I have to zoom to 70 mm, focus, then zoom back to 28. It makes me crazy - so I don't use the lens.

The 50 f/1.8, though, is a great lens - I loved it until I replaced it with a faster 1.4!

Jen

Hi Katie,

I too have a Rebel XT that I absolutely adore, though I'm not daring enough yet to shoot a full wedding with it as a main camera (normally I shoot weddings in film, for no extremely particular reason). You said that you were starting a business, or already had one going for photography, so hopefully you'll be getting more money soon to eventually get some of the "L" glass that Canon users covet. I myself, being on a tight butdget try to do everything I can with the less expensive lenses.

The 50mm f/1.8 is a gem of a lens, and for the price, I believe every photographer should have one. Another thing to consider, wide angle lenses do have a beauty, but with the 1.6x factor put on all lenses we use (when shooting with the Rebel XT) the wide angle is totally lost. The 50mm is a nice portrait lens considering that on a Rebel XT it is really an 80mm lens. You are right, and if your 35-80 is soft its safe to assume that it was an old "kit" lens from a camera package. I absolutely love my 28-105mm f/3.5-4.5, and it is a very classic range. It would give you sharper images over your kit lens, and also go a little wider. We literally have a similar lens setup, I have a 135mm f/2.8 Soft Focus (Canon Lens) that I bought specifically for portraits, it works great on my film bodies but isn't very practical for portraits on my Rebel XT because its such a long lens (135x1.6=digital mm).

Hopefully that is some insight, and I have shot weddings with my 28-105mm on both my film and digital bodies and find it works nicely. PS: You have a very nice portfoilo, very good eye for composition and the like.

Good Luck!

Cody

Thanks, David, for your thoughts and experience. I really appreciate it!

Cody, a fellow XT user! Thanks for your thoughts and comments on my work. Shopping for a lens is such a difficult decision! I am hoping to get my daughter's medical bills paid off with the weddings I have scheduled. Then I will be able to invest in more expensive glass. You need the glass to shoot pictures and you need the income from the pictures to buy glass! What a vicious circle!