4x5 Betterlight blog from Cambodia (Angkor Wat) and Thailand

jim_collum3

Clearly, Jim didn't have a question. He posted the link so we could see the pictures he was taking.

Your reply indicates that you don't consider this post to be a legitimate use of the forum. Everyone has an opinion, and mine is that such posts are welcome. Plenty of good posts don't pose questions.

My view is that this isn't a photograph-sharing forum. There are other places in photo.net that serve that specific purpose. Most of us take photographs more or less all the time, a few of them probably as excellent and interesting as Jim's are, but we don't typically post them here just so others can see what we're doing. Usually, not always but usually, photographs posted here are related to a request for a critique or a question someone asked or an answer someone has given or in some other manner related to a Q&A. However, I recognize that others think this sort of thing is fine so I'm neither upset nor offended.

Fantastically detailed pictures. They really show the capabilities of the Better

Light scan Back. In this day of digital vs film it was refreshing to see some

excellent digital output. To the person objecting to this type of post, I can only

say that compared to some of the other posts, this is a Ruben's masterpiece.

Bob Walsh

JIm,

Thank you very much for sharing your photographs. While this may not be primarily a

"photo-sharing" forum, I like to see the photographs of the people who post here. And

since the LF community isn't as big as, say, the dslr crowd, I think we should encourage

sharing of work as well as just technical info. And besides, your work with the betterlight

is an interesting technique that I'm glad you shared. I wish more people here would share

their LF work. All camera talk and no photos can make a dry forum...

I should have asked this in my last post. I have a technical question for Jim or anyone else

using a scanback outdoors. I've considered this technique but I've heard that it's difficult

to shoot with them outdoors if there is any wind present, which makes sense due to the

scanning property of the back. If there is a slight wind, and there are trees, or other

moving things in the picture, what is the effect? I would love to see some samples, even if

they are considered failures as photographs. I guess what I'm wondering is, will they be

soft and blurry (as they would be with film and slow shutter speeds) or will there be weird

color effects. Thanks.

there's color fringing. i'll get a crop and post it to the blog (wait a couple hours though.. i'm not currently at my image computer.)

there are 3 ccd arrays, each with a color filter over it (rgb, 6000 pixels in length). for each exposure period (scan time.. say 1/8th of a sec for the longest), the pixels capture the data, then move over one pixel. if the object has moved in that period of time, then the color information for that pixel isn't recorded (since it's not there anymore).

look later on today for a blog entry

thanks!

jim