advice on professional archival prints

milan_moudgill

I would appreciate advice on recommended places for making large

professional prints (from 120 slide film - therefore scanned and printed)

What are 'archival' quality prints? What are the standards?

I believe IRIS prints fall into this category? What else is available?

Basically I am inquiring about everything related to archival printing and

reliable places that provide the entire range of services, from scanning to

output, under the same roof.

Thanks in advance

Milan

Contact West Coast Imaging in California via their web site. Everything you need to know is

there. They do excellent professional quality work and use the whole range of equipment.

They have two Tango Drum Scanners as well as newer 2005 technology. The can produce

huge prints on Fuji Crystal Archive photo-paper using digital imaging or LED imaging. Also

they offer a full range of inkjet prints, both color and B&W. I generally order 20x24 prints

but their maximum is much larger. The quality is outstanding. (They were referred to me

about 4 years ago by some PhotoNet member in England and I've been using them ever

since.)

• 1 month later...

The first problem is that there is no official, widely held definition of "archival."

However, in general, the Library of Congress as well as national and highly regard museums are coming to regard "archival" as at least meaning "do no harm" in mounting and framing methods (which includes making sure nothing so permanent is done to the work that it can't be undone if future research proves things thought "archival" today turn out to be "anti-archival" in the future).

The aspect of using materials that will last at least 100 years without discernible change (fading, color shift, et cetera) is usually tossed out as a definition of "archival," although obviously the method of testing bears greatly on this. There is currently a very heated public debate between Kodak and Epson on this matter, with Epson publically accusing Kodak of using slack standards to back up "archival" claims for Kodak materials.

It's turning out, though, that pigmented inks on 100 percent cotton rag papers (presuming all are the highest quality, non-acid, buffered materials) will turn out to be the most long-lived of any currently available materials, including silver halide and definitely surpassing any dye process.

You may want to Google for articles on archival framing, because this is more of an issue for framers than photographers (framers being involved in the final process for all kinds of 2-dimensional art). You'll find the most detailed information on framing websites.

These folks are widely considered the authorities on longevity testing of modern imaging materials. Their website is rather oddly designed, but generally, if this group says "it's good," they are not refuted.

http://www.wilhelm-research.com/

Here is one site I use as a reference for my clients who ask questions about archival framing. The Library of Congress has a lot of other basic information about "archiving."

http://www.loc.gov/preserv/care/mat.html