Linhof 12x18 (5x7)

h_lcio_j._tagliolatto

Thepicture is so small that it is almost impossible to tell. Nor can you tell anything about the

condition. Based on what I can see I would guess that it is a IV. Also it is a 13x18 not 12x18

and that model can handle both 13x18 and 5x7 film as the extrior size of the holders i sthe

same. BTW at ~ 1150 USD the price is not too bad either IF it is in goo dworking order and IS

a IV.

The pictured camera does not have a forward lens tilt, and it does have the U shaped lever to pull out the lens...it's a III.

Made from 1946 to 1956. Very difficult to find the original lens boards as well as the cams. Helcio, the camera is missing the lateral rangefinder! Perhaps it was not present on the 5x7 even so, I could see the empty space to install one. My 4x5 III sold years ago, had the lateral rangefinder.

What lens does the camera have? I can see the lens mounted on a small Compound shutter, perhaps a I.

Boa sorte, Tito.

It is a Linhof Technika IV! I am 100% positive, as I collect Linhofs and have a substantial database of literature. The camera is easily identified as a IV by the vertical red stripes on the front standard. A 13x18 IV is essentally the same as a III, with the exception of the tan color and red stripes. The viewing hood is different as well. Of course a black IV could be custom ordered from Linhof, so the sure fire way of telling is the red stripes. Only the 4x5/9x12 Technikas had major changes from model to model. The 6x9 Super Technika III and IV are almost identical as well!

It should also be noted that the front standard of a 13x18/5x7 IV has the same functionality as a III. It wasn't until the 13x18/5x7 V model was introduced in late 1963 that the front standard had center tilt. The V also bought different rangefinder cams on the Super Technika model (not available anymore). The V is easily identified by the front standard and dual focusing knobs on the front bed. there is also a rear track for focusing with extreme wide angle lenses. A few more minor changes as well. What makes the V a bit confusing.....Linhof used the prototype photo for advertising purposes until 1969. The prototype had only one focusing knob and a "bubble" level built into the body on the top -- neither one of these features were ever actually used in production.

Dear Helcio,

Yes, the INTERNAL dimensions are different: you need 5x7 inch OR 13x18cm OR half-plate (4-3/4 x 6-1/2 inches). Holders to accept any of the three are fairly easy to find, so buy whatever suits the film you can get and want to use. The same ground-glass markings are adequate for 13x18 and 5x7 but you need different markings for whole plate.

They are all lovely formats.

Cheers,

Roger

Dear Helcio,

Yes, the INTERNAL dimensions are different: you need 5x7 inch OR 13x18cm OR half-plate (4-3/4 x 6-1/2 inches). Holders to accept any of the three are fairly easy to find, so buy whatever suits the film you can get and want to use. The same ground-glass markings are adequate for 13x18 and 5x7 but you need different markings for half plate.

They are all lovely formats.

Cheers,

Roger