Plz help collapse 4 in 1 40x72 reflector!!

renee_marie

I just got it in the mail today and it is huge! :)

I opened it up and it sprung right into place. The problem is I have

no idea how to get it back into the 2 foot size circle bag it came

with. I'm afraid I am going to damage the frame trying to force it

back to a circle.

Any help would be very appreciated!!

TIA,

Renee Marie

Grab two opposite "edges" of the reflector. I personally prefer when I hold them so that the hands are facing opposite sides, that is I grab it so that the fingers of my left hand is on the back of the reflector and the right hand is twisted so that the fingers is on the front of the reflector. I find this especially helpful if the reflector is a bit larger.

Slowly twist the whole reflector into an "eight" while at the same time gently pushing the hands closer together. If you hold the reflector as I described in the previous paragraph you should really just be twisting your right hand so that you are holding them in front of you as if you read a large newspaper. The reflector should "want" to fold itself nicely into three "circles". If you get a "real eight" you have twisted too much without pushing your hands together enough. The last part really comes by it self, you merely have to guide it right. There should be little force or effort to fold it.

I find it a bit hard to describe, especially in english, since it is something that I do almost automatically. Although I must admit that the first few times were a bit tricky.

this may also help: Hold the reflector in "portrait" mode so you're looking down the long direction and the short edge is against your body. stick the opposite short side into where a wall and floor meet. Fold the edge by your body toward the edge thats stuck into the wall/floor. this will form two hoops that you fold in on each other. It's tough to describe that last part, but the previously mentioned site helps. In the end, you should have what seems like 3 folded hoops forming a circle that you can get back in that bag.

Interesting. My folding technique is a variant. Of course this is just a habit but have tried this now, after having read the web instructions and looked at the animated GIF.

I guess it all comes down to how you are used to doing it. I find this variant requires a bit more force but then it more gently slides into place as opposed to how I was doing it before where I don't think I had to use any muscle but a bit more guiding it into place. But any method that works is good so...

Renee, I don't think that you will be able to break a folding reflector - just take it easy and if you haven't folded it within a few seconds - unfold and try again. You will get the knack.. once you have mastered it go and try one of the 8ft x 12ft Lastolite folding backgrounds.... shudder...