today and noticed this one:

<a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/Leica-model-III-with-nickel-elmar-lens-

estate-cs01_W0QQitemZ7565759283QQcategoryZ30030QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem">

camera </a> and started wondering if the above rule is ALWAYS correct

or if there were exceptions to it.

<br>

Were/are there Leica lenses with the inscriptions "F" instead of 'f'

and 'mm' instead of 'cm'?

The chaps on the Russian camera board at www.beststuff.com are the old Yahoo groups Russian board. The group there has 10 to 50 times the experience with Russian cameras; their repair; than Photo.net. All these folks do is Russian cameras and their lenses. A Russian lens can have a huge number of variants. The fake "Leica stuff" is often discussed their on www.beststuff.com

I have (I believe) 2 Leitz 50 Elmars, and 2 Russians: 1 labelled Industar-22 in cyrillic, the other a FED labelled Industar.<p>

FWIW:<br>

Both Leitz have "f=5cm 1:3,5"<br>

The Russians "1:3,5 F=5cm/F=50mm"<p>

One thing that I have noticed, if you're shopping for an Elmar, is the positioning of the stop pin. On both my Elmars (scale in mtr) it is located between the marks for 7 and 10 metres, on the Industars between 20 and Infinity, and 5 and 7.

Jim Lager shows a nickel Elmar on page 24 of Illustrated Guide II. It reads, "Leitz Elmar 1:3.5 F=50mm. Jim wouldn't be fooled by a fake.

I'd say both the camera and lens in your link are genuine. It was probably kept in a leather case, which could protect the paint, but not the knobs.

I've always wondered whose job was to stamp the miniscule serial numbers onto the front of the aperture selector ring. I had to use a magnfyer to read mine.

The camera in the photo, definitely has a patina that looks to be the real McCoy. With regards to the lens, I wouldn't have the foggiest, as my Elmar is rather late, from 1956 and it looks much different.

Best Regards - Andrew in Austin, TX

IMO, both camera and lens are genuine. The easiest way of spotting a fake Leica lens of that vintage is by the overall quality of workmanship, including the engraving, which is typically not as precise as that done by Leitz. For anyone who has a significant amount of experience handing the genuine item, the fakes are not hard to tell apart.

>Kelly Flanigan , nov 27, 2005; 01:29 p.m.

>The chaps on the Russian camera board at www.beststuff.com are the old Yahoo groups

Russian board. The group there has 10 to 50 times the experience with Russian cameras;

their repair; than Photo.net. All these folks do is Russian cameras and their lenses. A

Russian lens can have a huge number of variants. The fake "Leica stuff" is often discussed

their on www.beststuff.com

Good god man! You only used two semi-colons in five sentences!! Are you ill???

JON: Re <I>Good god man! You only used two semi-colons in five sentences!! Are you ill???</I><BR><BR>When I wrote technical engineering<BR><BR>

reports for the Japanese ; they required semicolons and double spacing.<BR><BR>They paid my wage very well. The semicolons aided in<BR><BR>translating complex optical and engineering reports.<BR><BR>When In 5th grade I was at college level in math and engineering; and probably 3 grade level in English. The Japanese chaps I worked for were whizzes in engineering too; but much less in language skills. Maybe us egg heads wonder why the folks who worry about semicolons cannot do square roots longhand; know Japanese; use a circular slide rule; or why they worry about old requirements for writing by our older clients. Sometimes old requirements become habits.