soft edge SPOTS on 5D

frank_gross

I have a new 5D and have been doing some snaps to get used to it and

have just noticed a spot that is always in the same place and only

really visible on clear skies and similar backgrounds. Is it a faulty

camera/sensor or perhaps dirt/dust?

Please look here

http://www.frankgross.com/temp/spots/

and tell me if you know - this is my first dslr.

thanks

Frank

posted on digital camera forum too

Dust.

There are a variety of methods for cleaning sensors. I'm an advocate of never actually touching the sensor. I use a bulb blower, with the camera held lens opening down. Read your manual for how to lock the mirror open, and do it with fresh batteries.

After a few years of shooting daily in dirty dusty environments, I've never used a sensor swab, and my sensors remain clean using the bulb blower every couple shoots. I'd rather not touch the sensor unless it's crucial.

Unfortunately dust spots on the sensor are part of digital photography.

You definitely will want to use a bulb blower. I had the same problem and tried first with an air can. It did not clean the sensor so I went back with the bulb blower and the spot came out immediately. If you have never cleaned a sensor before I highly recommend that you have a pro show you how to do it, it's very easy once you are shown. Hope this helps.

The camera is brand new. I have maybe changed the lens two or three times and always indoors. Could dust already be on the sensor ?

The good news is that y'all think it's "normal" and not a bad sensor/camera (a lemon)

All cleaning methods sound hazardous - except maybe the "blower" - I'm loathe to send it in for repair as it'll take 3 weeks. Any links to clear instructions ?

If you search, there a hundreds of posts about sensor cleaning, actually about 4 threads ago. Do NOT blow compressed (canned) air directly at the sensor, often the can spray out the freezing fluid which could damage something. I use a quality nylon broch ($8 at an artist supply store). Get canned air and spray the brush bristles to static charge them, then simply wipe the sensor (read you manual how to lock the mirror in sensor clean mode). I do this about every other week. A blower typically just moves the dust around and does not solve the problem. There is glass in front of the sensor, so it not as fagile as you think.

Mark

"The camera is brand new. I have maybe changed the lens two or three times and always indoors. Could dust already be on the sensor ? "

Yes. My 350D came with more dust from the factory than my 300D had after 18 months use, hundreds of outdoor lens changes and never once cleaned.

Frank-

Rule #1: Turn the camera off before removing a lens.

When the camera is on, the charged sensor attracts dust. Also, it doesn't hurt to blow off

or wipe down the lens(es) before swapping out. Another good bit of advice is to keep the

body pointed down and have the other lens ready to go on quickly.

When I first got my Canon DSLR I had dust by the second day. Since I've done the above I

haven't had dust since (4 months or so) and that includes a lot of lens changes in the field.