D200 and Ipod 5G

b_va

If you look at the customer reviews of the iPod camera adapter on apple.com, the response has been sorta blah, with some people stating significant concerns and trouble. It seems the consensus is that it's better to buy something dedicated to the one purpose of data storage, rather than an mp3 player that can double as a data storage device.

If you are looking for an MP3 player that can double as a data backup, the best out there is the iaudio X5. The photo viewing on it is too slow to view d200 thumbnails, but it's got USB on-the-go, meaning a simple cable connecting to camera to the player is all you need to backup the data. And it's fully mass storage compatible, so you can later transfer off the data to nearly any computer platform.

To top it off, the sound quality as an MP3 player is among the best.

It's about $250 for a 20GB model.

Forget using an MP3 player to back up the huge files of the D200. Epson makes a device that is dedicated to storing photos (P2000 I think it's called). It's bigger than the iPod but for a reason: it has 2.5" HD which is much faster than the 1.8" HD used in the iPod. It can also play movie and audio files but that is secondary.

I have just bought the Epson P-4000, a fantastic piece of kit with 80gb of storage and a clear crisp screen. The P-4000 has just been launched and supercedes the P-2000 which has 40gb of storage, difference in price between the two was 100 UK pounds ($170US ish)

It is much cheaper than having 5 x 1GB cards, plus of course you would still have the other 75gb left as well :-)

I have the Epson P-2000 and love it. I only have 4 gigs worth of cards and find

it invaluable at events such as wedding and Bar Mitzvahs. I down load one

card while shooting with the others. Image quality is great and the unit

downloads my one and two gig cards pretty quickly.

One serious downside, transferring data back to the home hard drive is

painfully slow with the USB connection. At least on my old Titanium 500 it is.

Firewire would be a delightful addition.