Hi everyone, I'm looking to buy a polarizer and hood for my D50 kit

lens. I have a few basic questions I was hoping someone could help

answer:

1) Which polarizer should I get? Since it seems like the D50 kit lens

isn't exactly a spectacular lens, I figure I probably don't need to

get some super-expensive polarizer for it. The one that seems to fit

the bill is the Nikon 52mm Circular Polarizer II Thin Ring

Multi-Coated Glass Filter for $65

(http://www.adorama.com/NK52CPLN.html). Is this a decent choice?

2) Some recommendations seem to be to get a larger-sized polarizer and

then get step-down attachments for it to be used on smaller diameter

lenses (so that you can use one polarizer for many different lenses).

Is this a good idea?

3) As for the lens hood, it seems like the one for the D50 kit lens is

the Nikon HB-33. Is it pretty much a no-brainer to just pick this up,

or are there others that I should consider?

Thanks for any help!

Which kit lens are you refering to? Without knowing the lens, can't figure out which Circular Polarizer and Lens Hood combo to work out. I do know this much, if you get a Nikon Circular Polarizer, you may have to get the Nikon CP Hood for it, the attachment size is proprietary to Nikon and just different enough in size that no other manufacturers hoods will fit correctly. If you go with 3rd party such as Hoya, Kenko, who ever, you may have better options in matching various hoods to the polarizer.

Another thing, if you are going with the newer. slimmer circular polarizers, they allow for the use of bayonet mounted lens hoods that are used on lenses equiped with such attachments. I have the older style, the lens hoods screw into the front of the circular polarizer. These older style do not work well with bayonet mounted lens hoods very well if at all.

Warren, the Nikon HB-33 lens hood for this lens is what Nikon would call a Bayonet Mount. The Baynet Mount is a twist-lock mounting that captures the lens hood on the outside of the end of the lens. Your kit lens uses this type of lens hood mount. The 52mm screw-on filter would allow for any 52mm screw-on filter to be used, including the circular polarizer, or CP, you are looking at. As I said, I have the older style CP that uses a screw-on lens hood that attaches to the CP filter itself. I have the 52mm, 62mm, and 72mm CP with corresponding screw-on hoods for each one.

And you are right, this 18-55 DX doesn't appear to be all that great of a lens. Especially for one that is supposed to be AF-S. I shoot both film (4004s) and digital (D1) and can use all but one of my current set of lenses on either body without any issues. The only lens I cannot use on the 4004 is the AF-S lens, it doesn't support it. For me, any DX lens is a waste of time and money, they are only good on DSLR and bring back old problems such as vignetting. This is from Thom Hogan's review of your kit lens: "Vignetting is back. We'd forgotten about it when we moved to digital SLRs, as the older lenses had much larger image circles than necessary, but with a small DX lens that barely covers the APS-sized sensor, it's back." Quite frankly, I wouldn't put any money into this lens. Now, if you have a 50mm f/1.4 or f/1.8 lens, that also uses the 52mm filter mount, then I might buy the CP and other filters for either of those lenses but not the 18-55 DX. Again, that's what I would do.

The $65.00 cost you have found is basically the price of the Nikon CP Series II or Slim Version. You could look into Hoya or Tiffen for lower cost CPs but may not be able to use the Nikon lens hood with them. Hoya has slim versions as well but at the same or higher cost than that of the Nikon CP II. If you did go with a 3rd party brand on the CP and a 3rd party hood for the CP, again, vignetting would be a problem with so much stacking on the end of the lens.

I don't know if this helps or confuses the issue more. In my own opinion, I would get rid of the kit lens and get better glass. I would buy my filters and hoods for that better lens, not this one.

Charlie, thanks a bunch for the detailed response, greatly appreciate it! I most likely won't be upgrading from the D50 kit lens for a while, as it's pretty sufficient for my amateurish needs. It sounds like the easiest route would be for me to get the Nikon CP with the Nikon hood to ensure compatibility.