Cokin P system or Hitech 85

tomas_staron

I want ask you question about your experience with Cokin P system

and Hitech 85 systems. Are the big differences between them? Which

one is simpler and more convenience to use? Can I use Hoya Super HMC

Polarizer @77mm for Hi Tech 85 system? I will be using lens for FF

17-40mm. Should I expect vigneting at@17? Many thanks

I use Cokin colored filters for b&w and HiTech filters for ND grads. I'm very happy with the HiTech brand. The Cokin holder is the cheapest but for the past several years I've only been buying HiTech filters. I also have the HMC filter, but mine is the thin one (no front threads.) Seems to me that you have the filter that is threaded on the front you could simply attache a "P" holder to it. It could get cumbersome though. I shoot a Nikon F100 camera and use the Nikon 18-35mm and do have problems with vignetting when using the Cokin holder. So, I simply hold the filter up next to the lens with my fingers. It works. Lee (I think) makes a nifty bellows shade for sixty bucks that fits into a Cokin P filter slot. I plan on getting one. I know I won't be able to use it for wide angle lenses though.

Kent in SD

• 2 months later...

Tomas

<p>

My answer may be a little late for you, but from my experience I would definitely recommend switching to the Hitech 85 filters over CokinP, for quality - especially as they are not that more expensive. I found the results from Cokin Ps generally left images unacceptably soft (loss of definition). The Cokin 'grey' grads also tended not to be truly neutral, to my eye, but to give a pink cast. Sharpness is of course subjective (I'm not 100% satisfied with the Hitechs, and am considering the Lees), but the Hitechs seem much much better than the Cokins.

<p>I am surprised more people do not know about the HiTechs considering the match with the popular Cokin format and the generally better quality of the Hitechs.

<p>

(This does not address your specific question about polarisers and vignetting, of course.)