What The IIIF Was Designed For

joe_murray2

I shot this image of Grammy winner Dave Alvin in the studio a few weeks ago. He's recording

a new album and the light level was very, very low. The exposure was 1/8th @f2, Tri-x

@1600. I used a 1937 IIIf with a 1947 Summitar 50mm. Focusing challenges aside, this type

of image is one of the things these cameras were designed for and do so well. The

ergonomics of these small cameras combined with their heft allow one to hand hold at such

slow shutter speeds yet make possible images that have quite acceptable sharpness. I had my

M7 kit with me but decided that the older glass would produce a classic look quite different

from the modern glass. I own 3 IIIfs and am still amazed at the reasonable prices for which

these cameras can be aquired considering the quality of construction and the sharp, beautiful

images they produce.<div>00EJYg-26689784.jpg.081d927adaedf1e6023d72c0f4430899.jpg</div>

Nice shooting, Joe. But I don't think the IIIF was manufactured in 1937. I have and shoot a

III b and that was made during WW II.

I agree about the camera's heft. A camera needs to have some weight, especially a small

one. I never feel insecure about shooting in low light with my III b. I hang it around my

neck on a strap and never mind its weight. In some ways, Leica IIIs are the best small

camera ever made - absolutely bullet proof. I don't mind the 2 viewfinders at all.

Best,

Tom