Nikon 80-200 vs Sigma 70-200

henry_alive

I would steer you toward a used two-touch Nikon 80-200mm, non AF-S. All the versions

Nikon has ever made of this lens are winners, but this model offers the best compromise

of price vs. handling. IMO. They are abundant on the used market for $500-$600. Never

handled Sigma's equivalent, so can't comment on it, but I believe that it sells new for

about the same price as a used Nikkor, so the decision should be a no-brainer. This is one

of those lenses that everybody needs to own at one point at another because it is so

flexible. I paid top dollar for the AF-S when it first came out and love it as I do, the regular

two-touch would have been just as good for my needs and I should have bought that one

in hindsight. Anyway, buy the Nikon and you will never be disppointed. Good luck with

your decision.

I have used the Nikon 80-200 AF-D on a D70 since 2004. It is fantastic as far as image quality goes. At f/2.8 there is some softness, but properly focused areas are still sharp. At f/4 in-focus areas are sharply defined while out-of-focus areas are nicely blurred.

The build quality of the lens is excellent with one exception: the AF/MF ring can crack and break with regular use -- see <a href="http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00ErFl&tag=">this recent thread</a>.

The tripod mount is adequate, though a bit small. It balances well with a D70 mounted, and should with your N80/N75.

Autofocus speed with the D70 is actually pretty fast and accurate, given proper focusing technique. I shoot a lot of football in the daytime with mine and it keeps up with the action. As light levels fall it gets less accurate, though still respectable.

Hope this helps.

• 2 months later...

I've seen an used lens mentioned here for CHF 590 which is about 500 $. It's the first version Nikon 80-200mm AF/2.8 ED version (without a tripot stand).

It seems a winner and I'm on my way to get it to mount on my D200.

The purpose is allround but mainly nature, people (and just seldom sport)

Would you recommend it as you do for the D-Version or should I rethink my wish?

Is the problem referred here on all versions (I'm not sure, which modell was affected). Thnx in advance for any help.

focus