Job tonight: Epson 4800 vs. Professional, drivers different?

I have to d/l tonight the drivers and stuff for an Epson 4800

because I have to do all the proofing for someone who will be

printing on the 4800, but I've no idea if the 4800 and 4800

Professional have different drivers. We are out of communication now

until tomorrow, too late...Anyone able to help with this?

I should be sort of OK, she is giving me prints from the printer to

guide me, so matching the print on the screen in proofing etc. I

should be able to get her close enough so that only some minor

Curves etc. need to be applied.

I use 1280, and we've learned from experience they give radically

different screen-to-print results.

My god, people dont even read...EPSON 4800 is a PRINTER, not a scanner! And yes im pretty

sure it is the same driver, but why do you need that if you dont have the printer yourself??

Are youre screen calibrated at all with a device like Monaco? I have the same printer at home,

and to be honest with you i see on my calibrated screen in Adobe RGB are what i am printing

on my printer on enhenced mat paper....so i dont realy understand why you would like to

give her something with the profile paper emebd in the file....not really a good idea anyway.

il check your answer.

This is one of those rare 'emergency' situations. She doesn't know how to get the printer set up, and the job is due very quick. I will modify the images so she can just click print, with her current settings, as best as possible.

My solution: I will d/l the driver now, and look at her prints she is getting; I will set up in proof setup for 4800 then as close as I can so the screen matches the print, and then from there I will adjust her image so it looks good on the screen. Save it, burn it, she prints them all from there. I am HOPING such an approach will make it close to OK. I think the problem is her settings (my hunch is adobe vs SRGB error in the printer setup).

I'll get back asap, away from a computer now for an hour, and will be starting the job then.

Shawnps, I need a Spyder or whatever it's called, I know that much, but this is a blind guy throwing darts at a bullseye 50 feet away in a room full of mooing cows.

Not sure it would help, but if she read carefully the < how to install > sheet that come with

the printer, it should take less than 30 min to someone who can read, and have a basic

knowledge of computer, then if she follow the manual page 67 she will be able to print....i

know is not realy helping you, but maybe it will be less time consuming then trying to print

so-so, get back to you, try to get something out of it, give her back the file, that she will try

again to print...seem like a hell lost of time. just a oppinion. have fun with this amazing 2500

$CAN printer.

Trouble is, it's her friend's printer, not hers, and also English is very difficult for her to read 'instructions'. I've done what I can, got nowhere. I'll have to figure something else out, guide her manually tomorrow or something via internet chat or something. Looking at the prints, it is almost surely a profile screw up - I get it often in erring, if I forget to choose adobe or sRGB at the right place and time. The print has the same indicators - very very flat but the colours are close (green is green etc.), whilst the file itself shows up perfectly on the screen.

I give up, beyond my ability to help from here, without the printer (I can't even check the print with preview without the printer here, won't let me, and none of the proof setup look anything like the print).

Thanks very much anyways. Nighty night.

Shawn

I see from your latest thread you are unsure about the application of color management...

You can download printer profiles from Epson. I don't see any profiles for the 4800, but the 2400 uses the same K3 ink set. Pick one for the paper you'll be using (Premium Luster is a good place to start).

Select a standard working space for Photoshop - Adobe RGB (recommended) or sRGB. When printing (with preview), select "Let Printer Determine the colors" and enter the appropriate print profile just below. In the Epson driver, select "ICM" and "No Color Adjustment".