instructions for nikon lens

katie h.

I was hoping the manual could tell me better how the VR works.

Jim, thanks! You could email it to me (I think you can get my email by clicking on my name).

Specifically I'm trying to figure out if I can get the VR to work while the subject to walking towards me, such as the processional of a wedding. I sometimes get a hint of camera shake when trying to add some ambient light to the shot. My usual method of focusing is to prefocus and then touch the autofocus as the subject walks toward me until I get the shot I want. The method works well with the 35-70 2.8, but I'm guessing that it might not give the VR time to engage. Would prefocusing and locking the focus at my preferred distance better allow the VR to engage?

Katie, I hope I'm understanding your questions correctly so forgive me if I'm overexplaining what you already know...

The VR stabilizes only you and the camera. It has no effect on the motion of the subject. Only a faster shutter speed or, in some cases, flash, will freeze subject motion.

Unlike the 70-200/2.8 VR the 24-120 VR has only one VR setting - "On". When engaged it compensates for wobble while you are stationary as well as for panning when tracking a moving object. Easy and effective.

VR is engaged only when the shutter release button is depressed ... I think. I don't have my D2H or instructions handy so I'm not sure whether the optional AF button(s) will engage VR. Simply flipping the VR switch to the "on" position on the lens does not engage VR. This is a good thing because VR drains the battery quicker.

VR works even with AF disabled. Try it. Pretty cool if you prefer to manually focus for a particular subject but still want the VR benefit.

VR will seem funky until you get accustomed to it. The image will shift ever so slightly when VR is engaged and disengaged (partially depressing and then releasing the shutter release button). This is normal. If your hearing is sensitive you'll even hear a very faint whine when VR is engaged. I also detect a very faint "thunk" as the image shifts when VR is disengaged. This must be normal because I noticed this with my 24-120 VR and with the 70-200 VR and 80-400 VR I tried in a local shop.

If you find it necessary to conserve battery power, turn off VR when the available light is bright enough to ensure fast shutter speeds. I have shaky hands but I'm okay at 1/250 sec and faster.

Another way to conserve power is to partially depress the shutter release button only when you actually anticipate a shot. This is tricky, tho', because there is a slight delay before VR engages. Since I use my D2H and the 24-120 VR mostly for action oriented stuff, I have VR engaged most of the time. I bought extra batteries to compensate for the higher power consumption. But if you don't rip off 300-1,000 shots per session, you may not need to worry about battery drainage.

Okay, I think I've gnawed the VR bit to the bone...

Being an AF-S lens with Nikon's Silent Wave Motor (SWM) the 24-120 VR autofocuses very quickly and quietly. The better your camera, the better the AF works. On a camera like the D2H (or D2X, F6 and, probably, F5) the subject snaps into focus almost instantly with no hunting, even in dim lighting.

So, under most conditions you should have little trouble tracking moving subjects, whether walking toward you, away from you or even laterally across your path.

However this depends on many factors: The AF mode used; the pattern selected; and, to some extent, the photographer's technique.

At my niece's wedding I blew the focus on several shots because I selected an inappropriate pattern for the conditions. I used one of the "t" shaped patterns because in the past it had accurately tracked fast paced action. In this case, tho', the primary focus spot would be sidetracked to one of the seated family members as she walked down the aisle. I should have used a single spot positioned on her face. Unfortunately, the church was so poorly lit I couldn't tell that the focus was slightly off on some shots. (Fortunately I got plenty of great shots and I'm not showing her my goofs.)

Whether to use continuous focusing is a matter of personal preference. I use it, maybe, 75% of the time. With a slower autofocusing camera, tho', I might not use this mode so often. But this really has nothing in particular to do with this lens. It applies to any of my other AF lenses.

Hope this helps. I think you'll like the lens. Keep in mind that like most lenses it nees to be stopped down a bit for optimal sharpness. It's just okay wide open throughout the focal length range, but stopped down as little as 2/3 stop it improves significantly. At 90-120mm f/8 it is sharp enough that I needed to soften some photos from my niece's wedding to touch up minor blemishes, etc.

Here is the URL that will give you the info you want. This seems to be very long so you may want to go to Google and type Nikkor VR and look for the corporate address that matches this one and click on it. There is an animated discription of the VR mechanism. The book does not tell you how to use it.

http://www.nikon.co.jp/main/eng/portfolio/about/technology/nikon_technology/vr_e/

Nikon | Corporate Information | About Nikon | Technology | Nikon Technologies | VR (Vibration Reduction) System

• 1 month later...