Your Leica bargain of 2005?

andyaitken

C'mon folks, let's hear about your bargain find of the year. ebay,

garage sale, dealer, whatever.

Mine? Well, I got a beautiful Rigid 50mm Summicron at a camera fair

for 100 euro. I arrived just as the guy was halving the price from

200. The front element looked terrible but it wiped right off - no

dust, no haze, not even a single wipe mark. What a lens it is too.

Your turn...

John, I can beat that, $85 including shipping for a Summar, glass just about perfect. Also a Canon LTM 50mm 1.2, perfect (I won't use the other "P" word) glass and original cap for $154. I didn't need either, especially the latter, but sometimes putting in that low bid works out...

A chrome M6 classic, 50 f/1.4 summilux, 28 f/2.8 elmarit and a 90 f/2.8 tele elmarit all in

mint condition with cases and Leica strap for $1,750 at an estate sale.

At a previous estate sale several months earlier, I also was able to get a mint R7 with

50mm f/1.4 summlux for $675 and a 35-70mm for $250, a Leica slide projector w/glass

for $35 and a few other things. It was a FANTASTIC estate sale for anyone interested in

Leica stuff. I got there the last day of the sale which is when they tend to mark the items

down and was totally shocked that there was a table full of Leica stuff with only the M3

with a 50mm (also mint condition) having been sold the day before. And sadly, the jerk

apparently stiffed the people by writing them a bad check. Anyway, wish I had more

money at the time (and knowledge about Leica stuff) because they had about four or five

mint condition M lenses in the boxes plus a black 35mm with eyes. All the M lenses were

priced at around $300 each and the 100mm APO lens for the R was around $560 i think.

(Yes, yes, I know I should have gotten that but just didnt know a lot about Leica gear at

the time.) Oh yeah, two pairs of really really nice Leica binoculars went for $190 each.

Missed those too. But oh well, it was still a good find for me. I gratefull for what I did end

up with.