How to scan 110 and 126 film

Just wondering if anyone has had any success in scanning this size

of film. I have a Nikon V ED that does a great job on slides and an

Epson 3170 that does a good job on prints. Has anyone found a way to

scan these odd size negatives? I don't expect fantastic scans from

the 110s but I would like to digitize them if possible.

Any ideas or suggestions for sources would be helpful.

Thanks

--

Ed

My problem is that I don't have all the prints to scan. I also would like to see if it is possible to get a nicer image from the negative than the print. I hope someone has some advice. I have done some Google searching without good results. The few who do scan these sizes charge a lot.

The outer dimension is 5 by 4 inches rectangle. There are two sheets of

aluminum. A window is cut in the middle of both. The window is the size of

the negative picture area. up to this part is simple. The machined part is on

the top sheet to make a path with depth equal to thickness of the negative and

width equal to the overall width of the negative. The two sheets are put

together with negative strip between the sheets. Put in the scanner. Once

aligned, I just pull the strip through and scan each negative. The bottom

sheet is thiner than the top sheeet. the path for negative is in the top sheet. I

got the idea from the 35mm negative holder ( made of plastic) which came

with my Epson scanner. If you have trouble with machinig, I think you can

bond something tto the top the sheet somethig same thickess as the negative

to amke a path to pull the negative through. Make sure that the plates are

large enough and can be butted agaist the edge of the scanner so they do not

move when you pull the roll of the negative through for scanning. I have the

two sheets taped on one edge so they stay together as a hinge. I had to do

this because I could not find negative holders for size other than 35mm. Hope

this helps.

Sady

Whether you make something elegant like the aluminum holder mention above or cut a mask out of cardstock or PETG, make sure to trace the outline of your current holder as template so that you include the calibration notch at the top of the holder.

<p> Doug<p>

<a href="http://home.earthlink.net/~dougfisher/holder/mainintro.html">Dougs

MF Film Holder for batch scanning of 120/220 medium format film with flatbeds</a>

• 2 months later...

I have about 1000 110mm slides. When I first had them processed I had the option of having them put on 2X2 plasticmounts or 110mm mounts. At first I chose the 2X2 mounts until I bought a 110 slide projector. When I was in the business I used a BUHL copier along with the projector with fair results. Now that I'm retired and sold my equipment I bought a Konica slide Scanner and have been looking for 35mm X 110mm frames with the same success as you. Right now I'm punching out the 110 inserts from the few 2x2 holders I have. A bit time consuming but effective. If I had to do it for a living I would soon go broke. I also have some cardboard 126mm 2x2 holders that I cut out and forced the 110mm into. They wear quite fast so be sure to have many on hand. I would think Kodak should have some laying around

I only need it for my personal use. I have great results cropping and altering them in Photoshop. Good luck

Eli

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Sorry for the long delay but if anyone is interested I found a solution that works pretty good. I finally found a Nikon FH-2 Film holder. I looked forever for the FH-3, the one listed as compatible with the Nikon V ed but never found one. The FH-2 works fine and I am scanning both my old 110 and 126.

Just remember that 110 is a small negative and don't expect stellar results like 35mm. But it is nice to get some decent scans.

I actually found some negatives of my cousin's wedding that I took back in 1976. While not great to have your only wedding pictures from a teenager with a 110, the pro they hired messed up and the pictures they have are the ones I took. I had always assumed that I had given them the negatives but I found them in my Mom's collection. So now I am scanning the negatives for them.

Good luck to anyone else looking to scan these negatives. Please pass on any additional techniques.

• 3 weeks later...

I too am looking for a good way to scan 110. I have built a mask from paper - used a 35mm flim holder - scanned with flim directly on the scanner bed - all with poor results. Scanning with the flim directly on the bed gives as good results as any. My big complient is a yellow tint on about 1/3 of the scan. It isn't showing on the pre-scan and I haven't had good results getting rid of it. Any suggestions? I'll look for a Nikon FH-2 holder, don't know if it will work with my hp scanner.

Thanks

• 4 months later...

FWIW - I created a film holder from <b>colorless, clear</b> Plexiglas and Black

electrical tape, which works reasonably well. This method is inexpensive and can be easily

modified for different scanners. Plexiglas can be found at any hardware or hobby store. I

got mine at Home Depot.

<p>

NOTE: Place careful attention to making sure ALL cuts and tape applications are

ABSOLUTELY square.

<ol><li>Cut the plexi to the same dementions as one of the film holders that came with

your scanner. Don't worry about any cutouts, as the plexi does not interfere with the

scanner</li>

<li>Use an existing film holder as a guide and mark the scanning boundaries on the plexi

- I used a fine tip White Board pen as it is completely removable with a moist cloth.</li>

<li>Take some Black tape and mask out the boundaries of the scanning area</li>

<li>Take a strip of 110 film and but it up against the Black tape previously applied, using

a piece of standard Masking Tape to hold the film to the plexi.</li>

<li>Use the Whiteboard marker to mark the bottom edge of the film strip on the plexi. Do

this at both ends of the scanning area and possibly one or more marks in the middle of

the scanning area. If done carefully, you will get a square, straight reference line along the

marks. You may also want to verify the square of the marker marks with a ruler to correct

for slight misalignments. Although, initial misalignment may not affect the square of the

scans, consecutive misalignments will be compounded and will knock the square out

considerably after just a couple rows.</li>

<li>Cut another strip of Black tape and using the marker marks, place the tape on the

plexi.</li>

<li>Continue adding rows as above until you reach the bottom boundry. I got 7 rows

adding tape in Portrait orientation.</li>

</ol><p>

Once you have completed your masking of the plexi, attach the film you want to scan with

masking tape to hold the strips in place. You may have to experiment with having the

tape

side up, facing the scanner light, or face down toward the scanner head to find out which

gives you

the best results.

<p>

I have found this a very cheap and effective method for scanning 110, and the method can

be quickly adapted to any odd size film.

<p>

One caveat to this method is you now have 2 extra surface to eliminate dust from. But

Canned air can usually take care of that.

<p>

Hope this helps any interested.

• 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've started shooting 110 in a borrowed Minolta Auto110 and find it scans very well in a

Coolscan 9000. I use the medium format rotating holder with glass (FH-869GR) and the

largest mask (8.7x6.3cm, or so). That allows me to scan three 110 negatives at a time

(actually, probably more if I were to line up several strips at a time, which I have not yet

tried).

Because several photos are being scanned at once, I shut off autoexposure. Otherwise, I just

let the scanner do its thing and split the images into separate files in photoshop afterwards.

There is a very nice man who sells a holder for use with the Nicon Coolscan V and 5000. He charges $75 and sells them on ebay. You can find the holder at http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150177672179&ssPageName=ADME:X:AAQ:US:1123

You need to adapt the MA-21 slide holder that comes with the scanner. The adaptation is reversible and he sends full instructions on how to do it. I adapted the one I had and bought another one for slides.

110 film is not very good quality so as previous contributors have said results are not as good as 35mm but the holder does a good job.

• 5 years later...
  • 1 month later...