Getting the sepia look

This is basic sort of stuff, but for some reason, I can't get a good

look, and was hoping someone could help. I have Photoshop 7, and

was trying to give some very old prints that I have scanned and

repaired, a nice sepia look. Can anyone tell me how to get sepia

with Photoshop. Many thanks for your help.

I think the technique that KL provided in the link is very nice. But the easiest way that I know

of is to go to the Image menu ---> Mode ---> Duotone (or select Grayscale first and then

select Duotone)...

...and then in the Duotone dialogue box, it the "Load..." button and then find a Tritone preset

file. It's usually in your Photoshop folder --> Presets --> Doutones --> Tritones and then

choosing one of those files in there.

The duo tone method gives you an infinite number of tonal ranges to play with and it will take you some time to find something that is appropriate to the style of photograph that you have scanned, especially when you start adjusting the levels of each selected colour.

I would at first start with the photograph within photoshop and the select image desaturate. From there you can then select image, adjust,colour balance, if you then move the red and yellow sliders it will give you a vast range of tones within the sepia colour. If you intend using sepia for many photographs then I would use duotones but the later method will give you some quick and pleasing results.

Also if you are after giving your photographs an old sort of feel to them , then i would reduce the contrast with levels by bringing the lower sliders slightly towards the centre.

Below is a link to many I have manipulated and it may give you some idea of just what you want.

http://www.pbase.com/philipcoleman/1940s_events

If you're making prints (as opposed to DVDs or webpages) it's tough to beat QTRgui (printer driver) tone control range/simplicity and its difficult to rival its blacks using Photoshop with the printer's native driver (assuming Epson).

Thanks for all of your responses. Reading your link KL, made me realise that I had forgotten to tick the colourise box in Hue/saturation, silly mistake. I did not realise though that there was so many other methods of attaining sepia - so I'll give them a go, and see which works the best. Thanks Robyn