D2X Sensor Dust

paul.thomsen

Just wondering how I can clean the sensor on my D2X - I seem to have

a spec on it. The menu option to clean it (lock the mirror up etc)

seems to be greyed out.

I realise that I should get a professional for any real servicing but

just want to know if its ok to try and use a blower on it without

touching it.

Paul, I don't know if this is the right thing to do but here's how I clean mine (just with a blower). Make sure you have a decent battery charge. Turn the camera off, remove the lens, turn the camera on. Set it for a "bulb" exposure, depress and hold down the shutter button. This will hold the mirror up. Now you can blow off the sensor. I use one of those rocket blowers and keep the front of the camera tilted forward so hopefully gravity will help some of the dust fall out. When you're done, release the shutter button and the mirror falls back into place. So far it's worked fine and I haven't had any problems.

The mirror lock up on my d1x's only works when I plug it in to a wall outlet for power. I used to be extremely careful about the sensor and cleaning but after watching another local pro clean his with agressive methods and see the beautiful images he pops out I no longer subscribe to the 50 dollar box of swabs method. I now use an old swab covered with a clean lens cloth. That's just me though. I'm sure flames will fly at that but no problems over here wiping it firmly with a soft cloth.

Before I bought an ac adapter I set it in manual on bulb to keep the shutter open but don't let your finger slip off the shutter release!

Steve

The proper method of cleaning (as outlined in the manual) is to buy the AC adapter EH-6 and

then the mirror up-clean sensor mode will operate. Yeah, I know, pretty crummy, I had to

buy the MH-4 for my D1X so I bought the MH-6 along with the camera. I agree that those 50

dollar box of swabs seem ridiculous, but then again if you do scratch it you are hosed! If you

know someone else with a D2X maybe you could borrow it or go in together on one. The

only time I use it is for cleaning. BTW: Would it have been so hard to build an AC unit into

the charger like nearly every other devise I own?

I guess I've been lucky, but I've got a D-70 and D2X and never had a dust particle that couldn't be blown off. Get a good bulb blower like a Giotto Rocket. Never used canned air as it may spray damaging propellent onto your sensor. Turn the shooting mode dial to M-up on the D2x, remove the lens with camera off, turn the camera on, depress the shutter which raises the mirror, blow the dust off with the blower, and turn the camera off and the mirror will close. This way you don't touch and risk damaging the sensor, so I'd definitely try this first.

I've gotten by with a Giottos Rocket blower for several months for cleaning my D2H sensor but recently I've noticed a couple of specks that can't be dislodged with the blower. Time to try something else. After reading up on everything available I'm leaning toward the Visible Dust brush. Expensive but so is every cleaning method, wet or dry, brush or pad.

My experience with Eclipse and Sensor Swab on D2H is good. I use the 30sec exposure without an AC adapter, and that is plenty of time to swab the sensor in both directions. http://www.photosol.com/

I tried can air... don't do it, too cold (causes condensation) and usually liquid propelled. And blowing standard air onto the sensor won't remove many dust spots.

Do you know that household air has >10000 particles greater than 1um per m3? Why would you want to blow some of those particles onto the sensor? Unless you have a room with industrial grade particle filters and laminar air flow...