Your experience with & recommendation on EVOLT E 500

dilip_kumar_singha

Olympus EVOLT E 500 is just launched. I am getting impressed after

reading the reviews (with reference to the price) though it appears

that this may have a few limitation like "the auto sensitivity is

limited uo to ISO 400" (with out boost). Also it is told that "the

CCD sensors are not as good as Canon's CMOS sensor". Till date I am

using only film cameras. What do you say about this DSLR if this be

the only digital camera with any photographer?

Generally, if you want the best possible quality images with the least amount of noise, especially in the shadows, you need to stay within the lower range of ISO ratings with any digital SLR, which means ISO 100-400. The Canon DSLR's with the CMOS sensors are very clean compared to the Olympus models when used at ISO 800 or faster. That does not mean it is preferable to use a rating that high though, even with the Canon, unless you absolutely have too. Much like shooting ISO 800 film or faster, you really shouldn't if you want the very best quality image. Today's newer Canon models like the 20D and Rebel XT are amazingly good at high ISO's.

I used ISO 800 quite a bit with my 10D because the lens I used for sports or indoor distance shooting was the 100-400L lens which was f5.6 at the long end, meaning even at ISO 800 or 1600 my shutter speeds were very limiting- thanks to image stabilization I always seemed to get a good deal of keepers.

Thanks to the 50-200 f2.8-3.5 I now use with my E-1, I can keep the setting to ISO 800 max and still get good images because the faster lenses gives me almost 1 full faster shutter speed rating, meaning I can stop action better when shooting subjects like the one attached here:

http://myfourthirds.com/document.php?id=17342

The E-500 has much updated technology compared to the E-1. I would imagine ISO 800 would be at least as good as the E-1 and ISO 100-400 should be very, very good.

I bought an E-500 last friday. First the bad news: Yes, it has noise at 1600 ASA. However, since I usually take pictures in black and white, this doesn't seem a major problem. Also, popular image-editing programs have an algorithm to reduce noise, so this is not a big problem, at least for me.

</p>

The real problem comes from the standar 14-45 f/3.5-5.6 lens. It is not a speedy lens, so in low light conditions, you need to use high ISO speeds. On the other hand, it's a very well corrected zoom lens, and I've been impressed with its extremelly low distortion. Lines are straight along the entire frame, either in the center or in the borders, being specially impressive at 45mm focal-length.

</p>

It seems that ordering the Zuiko digital 14-54mm f/2.8-3.5 can be a whole difference in using and enjoying the camera. But there is more: There are adapters that not only allow you to use Zuiko manual lenses from the OM system, but also Nikkor lenses and then other with M42 thread. You loose AF, but the camera will work in manal metering mode and in automatic metering mode with aperture preference.

</p>

Finally, you can see here some pictures I took this weekend:

</p>

http://www.photo.net/photodb/folder?folder_id=545663

</p>

About the Canon CMOS, yes it's very clean at 1600 ISO, but the images it produces are, in my opinion, very "plastic" like.

Yes, when I switched to the Olympus system I am very glad I went with the 14-54 f2.8-3.5 and 50-200 f2.8-3.5 lenses. I will eventually get an E-500 as a second camera to my E-1 and will not be getting the kit lenses. My two lens outfit is a good combination of speed without too much extra weight. The F2 zooms are awesome, but then I'd be back to the same weight I was dealing with when I was using my Canon 10D outfit- something I don't miss.

Now I've just got to figure out how I can afford to buy that 7-14 zoom....

I just bought the E-500 after agonizing between it and the D50/70s and Rebel XT. I am very glad I chose the Olympus. I was concerned about the noise but take a look at my "Oakvlle Grocery" shot in my gallery. This was a night shot at ISO 200. I know 200 is not very high but the fact that it let me take a night shot this good without having to boost the ISO way up is great. Also what sold me was the 4:3 system which matches standard frame sizes better than the APS sensors in Canons and Nikons so when I make a print for framing, I don't have to whack off 2mp worth of image to fit the frame.

See the trouble with asking such a question D K S is that the way you frame it determine the answer. Really. If you start comparing CCD with CMOS, it is a draw, but noone will allow that is so. And I could easily argue from both sides like a lawyer. Just tell me what you want to hear. The scientific approach is to get your insights from a user source that you trust. My personal favorite is in next paragraph, not slighting the users on PN, as you say the user base is still kinda small,and you are likely to draw from that small sample de facto. I have enjoyed following the reviews of this person because he offers a great review of his cameras and puts them in context with the market competition.<p> http://www.wrotniak.net/photo/oly-e/e500-rev.html<p>

Is this review infallible? No-o-o-o,sigh. Will you be able to make good photographs with it as you only camera?. Of course. Will you regret you didn't buy some other product. Yes,if you are human. Oh yes, the E 500 is turning out to have a following because of a good price. But get the better line of Olympus lenses as they said if you can do so. They are putting out three quality lines you know. I like the info on

that web site as a buying guide,myself. I would send my son there if he asked your Q,honest.

I tried using the E 500 today out at the Circuit City chain's counter where it was leashed to a hole in the counter.<p> That was at Circuit City. Good news: Circuit City had the battery charged fully and had both lenses available with the little LED theft gizmos attached and a CF card inside,lets hear it for CC. Nonethess, unlike our new Best Buy where all the cameras have no lenses on them at all, and COSTCO, where the batteries are never charged, it is and was posible to try it some, and make a few photos in the store, w and wo flash. My impression: Damn nice. Really damn nice I mean. I particularly love the large fast to respond LCD screen in back and the nice logicl lineup of buttons on its left. I am sorely tempted to get the body to use with my two ED lenses. I am really excited about what Olympus has done with this consumer mocel. The histogram pops up fast and clear,for the cognoscenti... Even the lenses look half decent. The shots with the flash had a strange tint, but I suspect that could easily be menued out of existence. I believe Circuit City is selling a lot of E 500 kits. Thati what the cute gal who sells there says. If you get a money back deal, so why not try one,methinks. Costco is a tough place to even handle a camera, why does this company even bother to sell digital SLRs and not stick to cheap shorts, shop towels, frozen matzo balls, and that kind of thing. Never mind. Good luck,Dilip. I rather think you will do just fine with this one. Or get the Canon mid range D20 one with the kit lens,prices are briskly dropping this month. A bientot.