Ever encountered this problem with IIIG or similar Leica III series?

julio_m

After my loaded IIIG has been idle for a few days with shutter uncocked, the film won't

advance: I have to set lever on "rewind", slightly rewind film, then reset lever back to

advance film. Rarely it occurs when I leave camera idle with shutter cocked and never with

camera empty. Any suggestions? Thanks.

My IIIf never did that.

BUT it sounds like a take-up spool problem, I mean, an unproper loading of the film leader in the spool when you load the camera. As you know, on the IIIf you have to recut the film leader so that it makes a straight 45 degrees leader measuring 10cm. Is it the same on the IIIg ?

My idea is that the film leader is not fitted firmly enough in your take-up spool when you load the camera, so that is you leave it for a while with the shutter uncocked the film curls a bit and the perforations get out of the sprocket teeth, hence what you have to do, which is straightening the film so that its perforations are caught by the sprocket teeth once and again.

I recently used some Fuji Neopan in my IIIC (it's my main B&W film in Canon Ps ) and had two leaders tear entirely off when advancing to shoot frame #1.

I've been cutting leaders forever, carry a small pair of scissors for the purpose in my bag, never had a problem with Kodak and Ilford B&W or various color negs.

Neopan seems to have a more tear-able film base...could that be involved in you IIIG problem?

Nicholas might be onto something. However, I have no difficulty in loading, winding and

using the camera, until it stays idle, uncocked for a few days - regardless of the film

used. Keep trying gentlemen and thanks a lot.

BTW, still looking for 35mm F2 LTM Canon.

Julio...

I've never encountered the problem with my IIIf... If the film is disengaging from the film

sprocket because of "slack" in the film then gently "taking up" the slack by turning the rewind

knob might re-engage the film with the sprocket and relieve the binding. Have you tried

that? JSC

Friend had similar problem. It's like whatever grabs the takeup spool is slipping (intermittent). We put a dummy role of film in the camera to try and recreate the situation. If we push the take-up spool in tighter it grabs and it's good for the whole role of film.

I am interested to hear what others say as a possible solution (probably a CLA)

Charles

You didn't say if you have been using this camera without difficulty or not. If you just

obtained the camera, perhaps it has the wrong takeup spool. I believe that g cameras require

the same spool as the M3, not the spool used in the previous cameras, like IIIf.

I have a Ig and IIIf and the spools don't seem to be completely interchangable.

That makes sense, because the IIIg was released after the M3, as a last tribute to the LTM series. I don't have any M3 or M2 but I just compared my Leica IIIf spool with the Canon IId spool I also have, and found some differences I had never really noticed before. See the (not terrific, sorry, did it quickly) attached photo.

Make sure your spool is the good one ; there might be another blessed IIIg owner here, who could help you to check.<div>00Dqqk-26055284.JPG.b9cca2fa02935e08e9c5ece878e9ef8b.JPG</div>

You don't say whether you advanced the film at first and it worked. It sounds like a loading problem especially if it worked right on a future roll. It is possible the rewind lever didn't fully disengage and the wind forward is not engaged. Thats happened to me but a little careful handling got everything to release and engage properly.