Need Suggestions for a Nikon n90 lens

rachel_valladares

The two lenses that Jim has suggested are excellent, but they will probably cost you three

or four times as much as the body, itself. I would guess that you went with this camera

because it is very affordable by today's standards. 28mm f2.8 AFD lenses are common and

shouldn't cost you more than $150 on the used market. This is a passable architecture

lens. Or, you could spend a bit more and get the 24mm, instead. For portraiture, 50mm

f1.4 lenses are readily available in either AF or manual configuration and make excellent

close portraiture units. Or, you could pick up a used 85mm f1.8, too. If you like zooms,

the Nikon 28-105mm AF is a decent all-around lens and available for about $250, used. It

will be a bit slower than the other two, but perhaps flexibility is more important. Only you

can decide that. Whichever route you go, I would encourage you to not spend too much on

specialized lenses first. Get to know the camera and what it does for you, then you will

decide what focal lengths really work for you. Good luck with your photography.

My suggestion is the Nikon AF 35-135mm, an all rounder lens--normally used by some wedding photographers few years back . I use it with my Nikon N90s with excellent results. Get also the SB-26 flash to go with it. They are cheap now. You will be set.

Good Luck

The mistake I made when I bought my N90s was not buying good glass. I started with a sigma 28-200 f3.5-5.6 but it was not fast or sharp enough when wide open. Spent some time on this forum and bought a Tamron 28-75 f2.8. Razor sharp and fast. Compatible with digital as well. Recently got a Tamron 90 1:1 macro. Also sharp fast and compatible with digital. The available wisdom of investing in the glass over the body was correct. I should have listened. Got my money back tho' on the sigma on ebay.

Am thinking of a D200 but will continue to buy good full frame lenses. I'm guessing Nikon will eventually move to full frame sensors and will not have to get rid of DX lenses which will then be no good. Will probably be cost effective in the long term

Best of luck.

For casual architecture, you will typically need a wide angle - somewhere between 20mm and 28mm. For portraits, you typically want a short telephoto - somewhere between 85mm and 105mm.

My recommendation is the Nikkor 28-85mm D zoom. 1 - It will allow all the automation your N90 provides, 2 - it's good quality, 3 - it's fast enough (f/3.5-4.5) for most situations, 4 - it's easily available used and relatively inexpensive (approx $100-125 at KEH). If you can afford it, the 28-105 or 24-85 would be good choices.

I'd shy away from the 28-200. You can find one that will "go with your camera" but quality suffers with such a large zoom range.

I have a 28-85 AF Nikon for my N90s and a 28-80 Tamron SP for my FM2 - plus a bunch of wider and longer lenses. But I find I use that 28-8x focal length range 90% of the time.

The N90 is a fine camera, but one drawback (in my mind) is that it requires CR5 lithium batteries. These can be expensive - depending on where you buy them. You may want to "stock-up" when/where you find them at a good price (they should have a long shelf-life).