so what about the new 18-200 vr dx if ed

anna_bentsen

I got one and like it a lot. Yes it has distortion at both ends, but nothing outrageous...also if you are picky, the distortions are fixable using Photoshop.

<p>

Overall, very good build quality with good materials, good usable range, nice fast autofocus, and excellent VRII to compensate for camera shake.

<p>

It lives pretty much full time on my main body. It makes a great "walking around" lens as well as great for travel when you only want to bring a simple kit.

<p>

I'd suggest going to a store with your camera and a memory card to try it out. Only you'll know if it will work for you. For the money, I think that it is a great lens.

I bought this lens about two weeks ago and Love this lens. I have lots of Nikon Gear and Lenses, but this is my favorite. This is the thing that is amazing with the VR (vibration reduction) I can shoot this handheld (no tripod) at the 200mm longest sitting= 300 on 35 mm film gear, at 5.6 at one second and shoot a sharp image. Not every shot, but if I am carefull I an do it. This is something I have never been able to do or thought possible with my other lenses, very cool indeed for low light situations. And I hate to have to drag around and set up a heavy tripod for shooting telephotos. Distortion can occur but I have allways had to deal with and consider with my other Nikon lenses like my 20, 24, etc, I have a pc lens I used for perspective control but dont find I need that often, even when shooting buildings. The only thing I didnt like was the price, at $800.00 it was $100.00 over manufactures list (dealer gouging) but I didnt want to buy two lenses and have to change lenses all the time and risk getting dirt on the sensor. So I bite the bullett. No regrets, This is a great Lens! Sorry negitive vibe merchants! Best wishes! Dirk D.

I currently own no Nikon gear, but I'm considering buying a D70s in the near future. One of its traditional selling points is the great 18-70 lens that comes with the kit. However, with this new 18-200, should I skip the kit and just buy the 18-200 with the D70s body only?

In other words, does the 18-70 have ANY advantages over the new 18-200?