Seeking impressions of Nikon 18-200 zoom...

huntrbll

I have an older friend who shoots with a D70, and he is considering

buying one of the new 18-200 VR zooms. About 80 percent of his work is

people shots taken on the street, at fairs, re-enactments, etc. The

rest is nature close-ups...leaves, flowers, anything with interesting

light and form. I know Ken Rockwell has high regards for this lens,

but I would like other people's impressions for this kind of work now

that the lens has been available for a few weeks.....thanks in advance....

I just got this lens, moving from the 24-120VR. It's light, narrower so more compact than the 24-120. Sharpness maybe the same or slightly better. I do notice light fall off especially wide open, which wasn't a problem with the 24-120 being a full frame lens. It can focus down to an arm's length so can be pressed into macro service too. And bokeh is quite nice so your friend's nature close-ups are covered. Portrait work should be fine, but street photos of moving people may need a faster lens unless shot in bright light.

I'll be posting some sample pictures soon.

-hash

I find the lens to be a quite superb addition to my kit-bag. There is indeed a little vignetting - easily fixable in either Capture or Photoshop - but otherwise this is a wonderful lens considering all the compromises that must have to be made to deliver a lens with such a extensive focal range.

The bokeh is very fine to my eyes and for a walk-around lens it is pretty much everything I'd hoped for.

I'm another who has upgraded from the 24-120 - fine lens as that was too.

I've had the lens for a few weeks now and have only run about 500 shots through it. No complaints from me.

<p>

Nicely constructed lens the produces good results. You can always complain about a bit of distortion. But for what the range, it is like a miracle lens with good glass and VRII.

<p>

The distortion at both ends is much less than I would have anticipated. Not enough that I would notice if I wasn't looking for it...and for presentation photos, this can be corrected if required.

<p>

If you have specific needs that required fast glass, macro, pc, etc. you'll need to look elsewhere. However, it is highly recommended as a general purpose lens. It is excellent for the range it covers. It spends a lot of time on my main body these days.

• 2 weeks later...

The VR II is much better than I expected. 1/8 of second is my new cutoff speed. Even at

200mm 1/8 is possible with steady hands. I hate tripods and flash for people pics - this

lens solves this problem and then some. At ISO 800 on my D70 we're talking about 6

stops faster than a classic ISO 100 situation! Since it is a f3.5-5.6 the VR's 4 stop action

functions like 18-200 f1.0-f1.4 lens! What would people pay for that???

(I'm rounding of the 3.5-4 here)

Here's a full f stop table for your reference,

f/1, f/1.4, f/2, f/2.8, f/4, f/5.6

If you don't believe me rent one. Yes, technically individual lenses with shorter ranges

have better specs but are you really going be carrying them with you all the time? Unless I

have time and my car nearby with all my camera equipment this is going to be do it all

lens 90% of the time.

- Ken Mendoza