What in the wide world of sports is going on here?

jon_martin2

Alright,

503cx "versus" 500cm . . .

I have been considering medium format for a long time now. I'm

decided on Hasselblad. My question: why are the 503cx's cheaper than

the 500cm's? The 503's have a more "vibrant" screen and TTL flash

metering . . .

And because of these features, I would guess they were more attractive

to wedding photographers (heavier use = cheaper price).

Ideas, explanations, suggestions? I would appreciate your thoughts.

Sincerely,

Jon

Jon,<br><br>I don't know that CX's are cheaper than C/M's. Are they?<br><br>But if they are, the reason will have nothing to do with the cameras themselves. As you say, the 503 CX is a 500 C/M with extras. Newer than the 500 C/M's too, so likely to be in better condition to boot.<br><br>Don't assume though that a CX comes with a newer, brighter screen. They did originally, but since these things are exchangeable, CX's may well be sold with old screens installed. And, of course, C/M's may have one of those brighter screens installed too. So always check, or ask about, the screen that's inside.<br><br>But i really doubt that CX's are cheaper than C/M's... ;-)

Your title refers to "wide world of sports".

The Hasselblad is excellent camera, no doubt here, but hardly usable for sports photography. Though, there are no things imposssible, when you set your mind on it.

If sports photography is what is this camera for, then, go and attend a sporting event and observe photographers there. Perhaps you will not find any Hasselblad camera there. Even if you find one, that does not mean that you would have to repeat other people mistakes.

i know this is getting off topic but in regards to the sports question;

hasselblad's are still the primary camera used for most skateboarding/bmx shots. its the reason i bought one :)

my theory on the original topic is that perhaps people selling the newer cameras are more aware of the price drop of late in hassy gear?