What's the story on the 500mm P lens

scott_linstead

I've been looking through some old posts on this, as I am unable to

shake the idea of getting a big tele. My local camera guy tells me

the AF-s version is CAD$8200, so, like many before me, I've been

contemplating the famous 'P' lens.

If I file down my tc-14e and tc-17e, will I lose metering on an

f100. Sorry to beat a dead horse on this one, I just can't seem to

extract the info reliably from older posts.

Also, what is the current status on the 500 f4 P. Is it strictly a

used lens now or can it still be purchased new? If so, is it that

much of an economic advantage over the the AFS version?

Thanks

Scott

It is a neat lens that must be used with a tripod, or beanbag support. AF it isn't, but reasonably fast manual focus may be achieved using the focus indicating arrows for non-moving subjects. You can see how popular this lens is from its continued listing by B&H when almost all other MF lenses are gone. It gives sharp images wide open with the Nikkor TC14B (700mm effective f/5.6).

Short answer: Metering will work fine, none lost.

I sure love mine. I use it with filed TC14E and TC20e. All metering is maintained with and without the TCs. I've used it on FM2n, F5, D100 and D70. I use it with the 14e and really can't tell the difference in quality. The TC20e does affect sharpness though. I say shop carefully and buy used. I did and have been very happy. I paid $2900 for mine in 1999, it was in near mint condition with all the original extras.

A 'funny' thing I can do with the modified TC14e and TC20e is use BOTH on the 500 to get a 1400 f11. Can't expect too much sharpness-wise from the combo :). I don't know if you could do the same with your 14 and 17...proceed with caution if you decide to try it out.

I own one and love it. I use it on my film cameras and my new D 200. I have no problem focusing manually with it on my F100, n90s or new D200. (I would not say the same about a d70, however.) I use it with the 14b and tc 301 tcs on the D200 and film cameras without loss of metering. It is beautifully balanced, so it can be used on a good ball head or a gimbal head from Wimberley or Kirk. Focusing it is not that hard and I wear glasses with tri focals. Even with a AF-s lens you often have to fine tune the last bit of focusing by hand anyhow, like on the animal's eye. If you are into flight shots, then AF-S is what you need. Go to www.naturescapes.net and sign up (no cost) and post a note under classifieds that you are looking for one. The prices I have seen in the US are around $2100-2200 for a used one. Joe Smith

Thanks, everyone. Glad to get a final word on the newer TCs compatibility. Unfortunately, B&H is back ordered, keh has none and it doesn't appear on the list of manual lenses on the nikonusa site. I guess it must at least be on its way out of production. Ebay has a few. I think I would have a lot of trouble with the used market, though. Not being able to inspect it ahead of time would freak me out.

Scott, it's anecdotal evidence only, but I was nervous about buying from ebay when I first started. I've had only great experiences so far. Several guidelines to follow for best results:

<ol>

<li>buy from people with established e-bay records.

<li>make sure they typically sell similar items. In other words, make sure that they're selling other expensive items and getting good feedback!

<li>email the seller with a question-any question-before the sale. make sure they're responsive!

<li>don't go for any unusual schemes regarding payment.

</ol>

That said, there's always some level of risk with this sort of transaction. Certainly the possibility of hassle and in extreme cases the loss of your $$.

<p>I've never tried, but maybe you could get on a notification list at KEH?

<p>Oh yeah, many of the photos in my <a href="http://www.photo.net/photodb/folder?folder_id=207648">Birds</a> folder were shot with the 500 f4P or 500+TC14E, some on film, some digital.<div>00Esz2-27560884.jpg.c26224c761ccef3da8cd230c03c27432.jpg</div>

Greg,

Nice work! Some serious pre-focus artistry going on there. I'm really having a tough time with this decision. Currently I use a 300 afs f4 with the 14 and the 17. I can't say I'm dissapointed optically, even with the 17 on. With the f100, I could use the extra reach. The economic choice would be to wait for the D200 to settle down and rely on the old crop factor. But I resist this as my f100 is fairly new. On the other hand, the subject isolation really shows on a true 500mm as opposed to a "teleed out" 300. This optical effect means more to me than sharpness and is something I really admire in wildlife images. Sticking with film is a tough decision for a variety of reasons. If one is to be competitive with wildlife and birds in terms of sales, is it realistic to count on a good 300 and teles + digital crop factor? Probably not, I guess, but those AF superteles are just so darn pricey!

Scott, here's one fact: You'll completely forget the cost about 10 minutes after you've started using a 500 for birds/wildlife. On film I think you'll be happy with the 500 + Tcs. With the crop I find I'm often using the 500 by itself. I should also mention that even though it's MF it really does 'pop' into focus. It's fairly easy to focus even on D70. I do verify the rangefinder focus when time permits.

And thanks for the nice words about the photo. I'm finally starting to follow the advice I've heard so many times which I summarize as: Watch for favorite perches, come back when the light is good, get in position, get good shots!

My first long Nikon prime was a 600mm f/5.6 AIS, bought for $1500 used on auction. I loved it and figured I would never sell, but did about a year after buying a used 500mm f/4 AF-I, again on auction ($3000).

So, if finding an affordable 500 P ends up difficult, you may want to consider keeping a lookout for a 600mm f/5.6 It comes with a black cylindrical case and is incredibly easy to travel with. Light, very sharp, and has the bokeh you're looking for. They are not 'chipped' like the 500 P, but mine was after I sent it to Rolland for an upgrade.

Cheers, -Greg-

Hi Scott, as Greg stated the meter will work on your F100 for sure. Recently I even try it on my D1X with Kenko Pro 2X attached (that's 500x2x1.5=1500mm) and the metering still works fine. I did not notice much quality loss. Here are a couple of examples.

500mm/f4 P + Nikon TC-14E II

http://www.photo.net/photo/3987851&size=lg

500mm/f4 P + Kenko Pro 2x

http://www.photo.net/photo/4007116&size=lg