Buying a Contax manual body

mbgoncalves1

Hi!

I currently own a Nikon F80 with a 50mm f/1.8 lens.

Since I am very picky about lens quality and since I started to use a

Bronica medium format camera I would like to buy a Contax manual body

with Carl Zeiss T* lenses.

I will initially buy a 50mm Planar f/1.7 lens and a 135mm Sonnar f/2.8.

I mainly do portraits on location (with a portable studio flash kit)

and for this I might use the Bronica. I also like street shooting and

this is why I want the Contax camera.

Any comments on this decision will be appreciatted.

Thanks,

Miguel

Miguel,

Contax is a dead system, both camera and lens production stoped.

Film is dieing and any investment in purely film based technology is quite questionable.

As far as I understand, you are not after Contax body but Zeiss lenses. There's a great news for you, CZ is releasing Nikon F mount lenses in three days. Check their site at:

http://www.zeiss.com/C12567A8003B58B9?Open

Best regards,

Miha

Hi, because Contax is a 'dead system' the cameras and lenses are cheaper. You can get a good RTS 3 for cheaper these days. Also, if you shoot B+W film you will get tonality that no digital camera can.

Assuiming you don't need huge poster size prints you will be fine.

If you do need poster size prints go for a larger format, such as your Bronica. I like the Bronica system but I am now using Fuji 69 and going into Large Format. I also use a digital camera for stuff I don't need to print. 35mm film is still alive and well. I was thinking of going for a Contax myself. I saw a Contax 167mt body with 50mm Planar f/1.7 lens going for $300 on ebay.

Cheers.

Contax is a high quality system which means that you are going to be able to find some fantastic bargains. All of the Zeiss lenses for the Contax cameras are top of the line and the bodies are well-made and durable. You can count of them giving you years and years of service and, most importantly, years and years of excellent pictures.

My Contax IIIa is a dead system, too. But it still produces fantastic images - over 40 years after it went out of production!

The modern Contax bodies are excellent, too. The RX has focus confirmation and is verywell built. The 167MT is nice, too. Skip the N-mount system, though, as the only reason for that mount was to support full frame digital cameras. Besides, there are very few lens choices.

Miguel,

Contax SLR's are the professional line of Yashica SLR's, both manufactured by Yashica. Some models are quite similar (i.e. the Contax RTS and the Yashica FR or the C 139 and the Y FX-D), while others have no equivalent. Generally the Contax models are excellently built and have great ergonomics.

In the beginning, there were only AE lenses from Zeiss available and the bodies (RTS, RTS II, 139, 137 MA) did support both manual setting and aperture-priority modes. The 137MD had only aperture-priority. From the 159mm on (159mm, 167mt, aria, ST, RX, RXII, RTS III) the camera supported also shutter priority and program mode but only with lenses marked MM (recognizable by the smallest f-stop in green). These MM lenses can be used on older bodies as can the older lenses be used on newer bodies, but both manual and aperture-priority only.

So far to the technical side of the bodies. As for usability, there are basically three different lines:

1. the professional RTS series having the original RTS, the RTS 2 and the RTS 3.

2. the 'semi-professional cameras with a heavier body' (and always a motor drive) like the 137md, 137ma, 167mt, ST, RX, RXII.

3. the 'semi-professional cameras with a light body' (of which only the Aria has a motor drive) starting with the 139 Quartz, the 159mm and the Aria.

The RTS bodies have great ergonomics and lots of accessories, but are pretty heavy. The 'light bodies' are really small and light, while the heavier body line is on par with the 'usual cameras' of other manufacturers. I have or have used an original RTS, a 139quartz, a 159mm, an Aria and a Yashica FR, FX-D and 107. I still have the 139 and the 159, which are very small and light bodies. I might add a ST or RX later, but so far I still like my selection and do not need to add anything at the moment.

If you do not want to spend much money on a body, I would go for a 139 quartz or a 137 ma - they can be found for less than EUR 100. The next step would be a RTS2, 167mt or a 159mm for around EUR 200 (with the 159 being a bit cheaper). Expect to pay around EUR 400 for a top- or newer body like the Aria, RX or RTS 3. I would not recommend the 137MD (no manual mode) and the original RTS (too expensive and heavy for what it offers). Otherwise there is not really a bad pick as far as bodies are concerned.

WIth the 50/1.7 and the 135/2.8 you named to top lenses. Other nice and cheap choices are: The superb 28/2.8 and 35/2.8 wide angles, the small and compact 85/2.8 Sonnar and the 200/3.5 Tessar. As for zooms, the best bang for buck is the Yashica ML 35-105/3.5-4.5, and the Zeiss 35-70/3.4. Other zooms are pretty expensive except sometimes the 80-200. All the other lenses are great also, but in my eyes quite a bit more expensive than the ones mentioned above, but then they are either optically challenging (quite fast) like the 35/1.4 or the 85/1.4 or they are pretty small compared to the above offerings like the 200/4 or the 45/2.8. But generally all lenses are great.

If I were to build a street shooting set I would choose a 159mm body with a selection from the small and relatively cheap lenses mentioned above, or a RX with the heavier lenses or zooms, but then we are talking alot more weight and money.

If you have questions, you can also mail me directly.

Miguel,

wellcome to the club. I think the 2.8/135 is an excellent choice, for 50mm I would go for

the 1.4 used. The 1.4/85 is my favorite for portrait. Keep in mind that Canon builds nice

digibacks for contax lenses. Having had or having most of the bodys, I can tell you what I

usually use:

Portrait with the studio flash: RTS III because of speed and the ability to measure the

studio flash TTL. But keep in mind most caucasians are brighter than a greycard.

Casual portrait: AX. For Street Photography: G1/G2 are my frist choices, RTS II my second.

The old RTS and RTS II bodys are great, but Contax does not service them anymore. No

more parts they say. The RX is a nice allround model, the Aria is not so heavy because they

used plastics. But it not so bad and the other guys are heavy.

Miguel, I own the Contax RX, Aria, S2 and 139Q along with the Yashica FX3 Super 2000 and the Yashica 109MP. The Contaxs are sturdy, well built and excellent machines that you can get rather inexpensively nowadays at KEH or even on ebay. The lenses are superb. I own both the 50 1.4 AE and the 50 1.7 MM along with many other Zeiss lenses. The Yashica lenses render the subject in a cooler maner than the Zeiss lenses do but, as was stated above, the ML 35-105 (not the DSB version) is well worth having and I would add that the Yashica 100 Macro is also a very nice lens.

I have even seen cameras like the 167 MT for under $200.00 and certainly the 139Q can be purchased for under $140.00. I find the RX to be a great camera. Good luck with whatever system you choose.

Just bought a Contax AX in mint condition for 450 pounds sterling.

I want to use the camera with slow film and the fast primes.

Seems that although the equipment is not supported in terms of repair, the quality is so good I doubt if there will be the need for

servicing since I am amatuer and don't shoot much anyway.

Cheers.

Are there any 'cheap' older manual focus lenses for the Contax AX?

Just been having a look at some lenses but they are very expensive.

How about adapters for the Contax mount ?

The AX has a 95% finder with 70% magnification but the eyepoint is very high at 25mm, I like that design, smaller prism too.

Cheers.

Yep, thanks I'll check the prices. I used to think I could avoid hefty import taxes to Ireland buying itmes marked as 'gift. Not so, anything over a given value is taxed, so might as well buy from a good seller like KEH.

http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00EuZc

I found this interesting, a Contax DSLR for manual focus lenses.

Maybe they could use the design of the AX as a starting point, by simply moving the digital sensor. That would provide something unique in the DSLR market I'm sure. Image stabilization would be cool too.

Cheers.

Contax and CZ lenses are an excellent choice. I also shoot Nikon but have never been able to give up my Contax/Yashica cameras and lenses, they are wonderful equipment. Carl Zeiss lenses remain expensive because they never really 'died' in terms of demand - even DSLR users are busy putting these lenses on their Canons (with adapters) for better optical results.

For an excellent website and forum on Contax and Yashica SLRs and lenses, see this site: http://www.cdegroot.com/photo-contax/ . In addition to the forum, be sure to check out the Contax Equipment and Yashica Equipment sections as there is a LOT of information and commentary on lenses, bodies, accessories, tips, lens tests, etc.

• 3 months later...