Who do you use for online proofing/printing

joshlitt

I have been using Mpix to do my printing because I love the color

and quality of prints, especially the new "Metallic" Kodak paper.

I don't know that I do enough business to get a Miller's account or

Pictage due to cost. However I don't want to show clients what I

pay for prints on Mpix either, what online proofing/printing company

do you use or have you used.

I think I like the percentage ones (imagequix, Photoreflect) I have

seen more than the monthly fee sites I have seen. Ideally I am

looking for one that would be a percentage based, that doesnt charge

for uploads and would allow me to set my own prices.

Thanks in advance,

Josh

You could always do something like eventpix.com. They have different plans. I do the plan where I pay to upload only. Then, there is no charge on sales. I like my local lab. I can either send them to my local lab myself, have eventpix print them, or have eventpix send them to my local lab. (They have to be a partner with your lab for them to send it to your lab.) It costs me about $20 to upload a wedding to eventpix. It is based on image #, not storage size. I upload small image sizes, since I am sending my own for print. So, you could upload to eventpix, and still print at miller. Then you are only uploading full image size to miller. I got in on a deal with eventpix where my first year membership fee ($100) free and the first 2 events I uploaded were free. That way I could try them first and see how I liked them. You could contact them and ask if you could try a couple events free, so you can see if you like them. They also have different plans where you don't pay to upload, but you pay a % on sales.

"I like the Printroom setup but 300MB and an extra 100MB for $20 sucks. I have about 2.5GB off the last wedding I did, I would be spending more on storage than I would ever make from the prints."

One excellent feature of Printroom is that you can upload small JPEG proofs for the online galleries. The finals are uploaded if and when prints are purchased. This facilitates a much shorter time to market and reduces disk space requirements, and is a whole lot less work overall. If Smugmug would do this, it would be nearly perfect.

What I don't like about Printroom is the resulting galleries. I don't like the image sizes or navigation, from what I've seen. Smugmug absolutely stomps Printroom in this regard.

Printroom supports embedded ICC profiles, so you don't have to provide everything in sRGB -- they do the conversion to their printer profiles. I like this because I shoot raw and the smallest editing color space I use is aRGB. Opnions vary on this and Smugmug argues for, and supports only, sRGB.

I use Digilabs.biz and have been extremely satisfied. They do everyhting you described in your list of desired features. I took the plan that has no costs up front, but I pay a 15% commission on all sales. Which is fine. I do a fairly significant volume of sales off the site. The galleries carry my branding, and there is nothing to tell a consumer they are using anything but your own service when they buy. Print quality is excellent.

As a side note, I used to be with Pictage, also tried Shutterfly pro Galleries, and I wasn't happy with either one of them. I also took a look at Collages.net, then realized I shouldn't have to pay $700/year to host my images and then a commisiion on top of that. Frankly, none of these places would make any money if it weren't for photographers.

Bottom line, do your research. You may even want to spend the money on a PickPic cart, that way you are hosting your own galleries and all the money comes to you.

I use Printroom and they are great. The prints are of great quality, they are quick to correct any mistake for me and my customers and i've yet to have any complaints from my customers in regards to their print orders. I've been using them for 2 years now. I was with smug mug before but was turned off greatly by poor customer service. I believe service is the make it or break it for a business. I use Printroom because they allow me to just focus on my shoots and assignments, upload thumbnails for previewing and when an order is placed, upload the original high res files for processing. They even allow me to edit before hand which is great. Instead of having to edit 400-1000 images and upload them to process, i only have to edit the ones that are ordered. Checks are sent out promptly too. I also get an assigned individual who works with me closely to help my with my business which is a huge plus against all the other services i've tried. Printroom has my vote. Don't take my word for it. Go to other sites like www.fredmiranda.com or www.sportsshooter.com and do a search for printroom and you will hear mainly good words about their services from other photographers from every field. Or better yet, do a search on photo.net's forums. Hope that helps. Actually if you want to get a good deal with Printroom, let me know. I think my guy who I work with at Printroom can offer you something like he did me. Let me know if you or anyone else is interested by emailing me at imaculate@yahoo.com

Also to the guy who says the 300mb sucks. Do you realize that Printroom doesn't use against you the whole size of the image. Their software allows you to upload thumbnails of your original images for proofing. When my client then decides the images they want to make prints for, Printroom lets me know and I can then upload the original images to them for processing. What's great is that they still don't use that full size high-res images against me because I initially uploaded thumbnails that their software creates. So one wedding shoot = 1000 images at thumbnails size comes out to only 3-4 megs. Eventually if you need more space, my rep works with me to get me more without charging me.