Time for a new compact?

steve6

Is it time for Leica to make a decent compact?

I don't no what the results are like from the "cheap" ones but they seem so plasticy and lightweight.

I understand the minilux(not zoom) gives good results but the viewfinder is awful,like looking down a long tunel!

Howabout a minilux 2 with a more useful 35mm f2,decent v.f.and manual control.Any thoghts?

I know the Minilux Zoom may not be as sharp as the prime lens Minilux

but it still produces GREAT IMAGES! I have both of them and I think the

zoom is highly under-regarded. As one of its best features is to zoom

it to 70mm and you get a highly portable short-telephoto lens outfit

producing stunning shallow DOF shots.

<p>

Steve, in response to your questions, and it has been discussed before

in previous threads; I think the answer is yes. They could do with a II

minilux with a faster shutter speed. And faster/instant shutter

release. Thats my 2 cents worth. Cheers,

I have just bought a new Contax T3. Everything is fine but one thing

bothers me - it scratch the negative from the 25th exposure onwards.

Does anyone here has any similar experience and what you have done to

solve the problem? Anyway I am also waiting for a new version of the

Minilux to try out, it should be coooool. Regards,

• 11 months later...

I'd like to see a ruggedized Minilux for use in adverse conditions like boating or at the beach.

BTW, I own both the Minilux and Minilux zoom and like them both. The Minilux for its aperture control and lens speed. The MLZ for its CF flash (nice fill flash) and zoom lens. The MLZ has produced pictures printed in glossy charity programs that were obviously sharper than pictures taken by a pro/semi-pro using a Nikon SLR (I don't know what lens). The 70mm end of the zoom is a nice portrait lens, especially wide open at f6.5. (No, you can't control the aperture except by controlling available light and film speed.) The 40mm is less flattering for portraits but a great lens.

I almost hate to give away a secret, but Leica's AF-C1 (rebadged Minolta Tele-Freedom) is an almost perfect P&S street camera. It is extremely light (10 oz.) with superb ergonomics, excellent viewfinder, 40mm f:2.8 4/4 element lens which is quite sharp and fast enough for most needs, plus a built-in 2x telextender giving 80mm f:5.6 (at the push of a button, with 1:1 viewing). Built-in off/on/auto flash. The drawbacks are that there are no manual settings, and service is only at Peachtree, who bought the parts inventory from Leica. Under $150 (Leica), or Minolta about $25.