Worth downgrading and saving $$ with 70-300 IS?

suman

Currently I have a 300f4L IS and 70-200 f4L for longer range shots for

my 1.6x crop body. Put together, these two lenses cost me about $1.5k

an d then I hardly get enough chance to use my longer lenses. I found

most of the time I use 17-40 L or the 10-22 efs. So I am just

wondering if it is going to be a good choice to downgrade to 70-300 IS

for those occassional shots?

I think nonrotating front element is important when one is using an wide angle lens with a circular cpl tagged to the lens. I don't think I have ever used a circ. cpl in any of my longer teles ever. Yakim, so you think I am not gonna loose much in term sof optics?

<p>Suman</p>

>>I would keep those two great lenses and purchase a <b>film body</b><i> just to use them.</i><< ?<p>

Many folks will keep both the 300 f/4L and 70-200 f/4L because they're indeed great lenses. I've sold the 700 f/4L and bought the 70-300 IS for the same reason. However, I keep the 300 f/4L and 1.4x TC.

Suman:

The bottom line is that it sounds like you just don't use your 300 f/4 L and 70-200 f/4 L.

If you cannot really imagine that situation changing, then they aren't doing you any good

and you might as well liquidate them.

Sure, you will loose something, in terms or optics, by replacing these two lenses with a

70-300, but would you notice? If you would be happier carrying around comparatively

small 70-300, and therefore USE it, then it makes perfect sense. A great example of why

Canon makes such a diverse range of lenses: photographer's needs are diverse.

I never thought I would support someone who would want to do something insane like this but if you are going to do it then consider the DO IS version for something really easy to carry around. Sell your two lenses on eBay and you will get more than enough to pay for it. Don't trade the lenses in you will lose a fortune. If you are unfamiliar with eBay, take the time to learn about it and put it to your advantage.

You could try selling them here in the classified forum but that could take time, and don't ask store prices for them like everyone else here. Good luck!

If, when shooting in this range, you find you're constantly switching between lenses, and you find it to be a pain, that's a good reason to change. But unless you really need the money for other purposes, my advice would be to keep these lenses, so that when you *do* need these focal lengths, you have excellent glass.

If you really feel you *must* get rid of these lenses, then I agree with John Crowe: I'd pick the DO 70-300 over the non-DO version.

>> I think nonrotating front element is important when one is using an wide angle lens with a circular cpl tagged to the lens. I don't think I have ever used a circ. cpl in any of my longer teles ever.

Then it's obvious that it's a non-issue for you. For me it is as I sometimes do that.

Happy shooting,

Yakim.