The Gitzo G2220, 2227 and G2228

craig_payne2

The carbon fiber Explorer models G-2227 and G-2228 are made to the same high standards as the Reporter models G-1227 and G-1228 and other Gitzo tripods. The aluminum G-2220, however, is cheaply made (and priced accordingly). The legs are thin-walled tubing with threaded plastic inserts which serve as a locks between sections.

All other Gitzo tripods, aluminum and carbon fiber, have thick-walled tubing, threaded at one end for the aluminum locking collar, and grooved at the upper end for two "piston ring" like bushings that provide a tight fit within the outer tube. As a result, there is very little wobble in the joints even before the collar is tightened.

The G-2220 probably functions OK, but is does not have the "made to last a lifetime" quality one expects from Gitzo. None of the Explorer models has particularly good holding power. I looked closely at these tripods, and find that I can accomplish the same things with the much sturdier G-1227 Reporter. I slip in a stub column (easy to carry) to work flat on the ground, and use a focusing rail for macro work.

You can see the type of construction for various Gitzo tripods on parts drawings at the US service website, www.bogenphoto.com.

I find the 2220 to be an excellent compliment to my 1325. I've been dragging it around in the field for a few years now with no build issues. It has proved very stable (I have a BH-3 on it) when deployed in inherently unstable configurations. The 2227/8 may be better built...I haven't used them. What I am sure of is that I can get shots with the Explorer that are not possible to get with traditional legsets (either due to need for flexibility or need for speed of setup). For serious macro work I find it to be indispensible. You can do a search of the web and find that seems to be the general concensus among experienced photographers. That's not to dismiss alternate views, but I found it to be true for my work.