What filter size?

bill_kleimen

Bill. I believe the filter size can be determined by looking at the inside of your lens cap. Nikon usually imprints the filter size in that location. In any event I am informed that the the filter size is 48mm which is was common on a lot of Canon FL series lenses. I have purchased a number of filters on ebay from oldenglishchina and find they are reasonable in price and you should be able to get a 5 piece set for about $25.00. Good luck.

Hi Bill.

I faced the same problem and finally solved it recently. The thread on this lens is 37 mm, but not a standard one. Nikon wants you to buy their own filters, which are 3x the price of others. However, the company called bugeyedigital sells a lens adapter, which converts it to standard 52 mm thread. Here is the link:

http://www.bugeyedigital.com/product_main/ckc-sur840052.html

I bought this adapter ($12 with shipping), then bought a step-up ring from 52-58 mm for my 58 mm polarizer. Unfortunately, when I add all those things (it's a thick polarizer), I get vignetting at the wide angle. I need to zoom in 2 clicks before the vignetting goes away. If you are buying a new polarizer, I'd buy a 52 mm slim, which should get rid of vignetting.