my 50mm RZ lens is soft...

elliotnewman

I bought it off ebay (for �185) very cheap deal! But I have noticed that around the edges of

my scans I see it becoming soft. Its a gradual fade from about half way from the centre of the

frame. Now I am sure that its not my scannner as I dont have this problem with my 180mm

lens. Also the grain is still in focus around those areas so this makes me think I have bought

a bit of a dodgy lens :(

Do Mamiya offer a service for this? I presume for them just to look at it will cost almost the

price of another one off ebay... Or does anybody have any suggestions/advice? Is the 50mm a

little softer around the edges? Or should I expect lazer sharp images across the entire frame?

(which I do seeing as its a pro lens)

Howdy Elliott. This may seem rather obvious, but, did you adjust the floating element in the front of your lens? The reason I am asking is that a lot of people purchase this lens from a previous owner and fail to get the instructions on the use of the floting element. I find that the proper adjustment makes a world of difference on my negatives. Other possible concerns are use of poor quality filters and lastly there is a matter of the lens hood. Are you using an original Mamiya hood which is shaped to give coverage for the 6x7 negative. I have a similar lens and have no problems in getting 20x24 inch prints in sharp focus.