35 f1.4 L discontinued?

steven_chan3

<p>Canon's U.S. Web site still shows it as current, but that site is famous for errors. I don't see that Amazon's page (provided by some photo store I've never heard of) says it's discontinued; it says it usually ships in 1-2 days and is currently on sale.</p>

<p>I'm guessing that the rumours of the 35/1.4L's demise are probably just the same as the <a href="http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00BVRr">previous</a> <a href="http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00BDy5">rumours</a> (those two are both from earlier this year) of the 35/1.4L's demise (and the rumours of the demise of various other current lenses) - speculation based on a temporary supply problem.</p>

One Call has this lens in stock for $1199. There are two possibilities - high demand or low supply. I don't think this lens is in high demand because both B&H and One Call don't rate the lens as one of their top sale lenses. Please think logically. The focal length of 35mm and f1.4 stop should be an ideal "normal" for 1.6x Digicams. Then why does Canon put this lens in low production? The 24mm f1.4L is always in stock everywhere but not the 35mm f/1.4L.<p>

Canon's idea of inctroducing L zoom to satify both goals - the convenience of a zoom lens and the super quality of a prime lens. Besides weather seal and build quality, we buy L zoom because we want to quality of a prime lens. It means that we basically satisfy with the quality of consumer grade prime lenses such as 50mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.8 and 100mm f/2.8 Macro.<p>

We do need 30mm or 35mm f/1.4 to equip with 1.6x Canon digicams. However, I don't think I'll be happy with the series 20mm, 24mm, 28mm or 35mm from Canon. I need a good normal lens for my Canon 20D but can never find one. Sigma has introduced the 30mm f/1.4 but only for 1.6x and comes with relatively high price.<p>

I'm still holding back and not to order the Canon 30mm f/1.4 from One Call because I think Canon will introduce one new lens soon at this range. Will the new lens be replacing the 35mm f/1.4L? I don't know.

Here we go again:

1. Only Canon can answer that;

2. Why would they discontinue a lens that was introduced in 1998, and it's one of the best 35mm lenses available for DLRs?

3. Why would they discontinue this lens and keep the really old 35mm f/2 lens (I wish they update this one though).

4. If you really want to buy it, it would make more sense to contact the shops to see which one has it in stock, instead of trying to find the answer in photo.net...