Everglades and the Keys in June

jamie_adams

Check out Clyde Butcher's place. Butcher is the Ansel Adams of the Everglades. I forgot the highway name, but if you go to 8th in Miami and keep going west, it becomes a highway and runs through the Everglades and Big Cyprus park, where Butcher has his gallery. The area has lots of rest stops and roads going north and south. Good locations for shooting, both the everglades and wildlife.

Steve gives a good place to start. Are you more interested in landscapes or birds and critters. In June we should start (I hope) getting our afternoon thunderstorms. The clouds are quite neat, especially in the glades with the Cypress trees and sawgrass.

Coincidently, I'll also be suffering in South Florida in the June heat and humidity. Unfortunatley, this is not the best time for fauna in South Florida. Not only will it rain everyday but the bugs will be terrible. My iternerary includes:

Brian Piccolo Park, Ft Lauderdale. - Burrowing Owls

Tree Tops Park, Davie.

Greynolds Park, North Miami Beach.- Heronry

Florida Keys Bird Sanctuary, Tavernier.- Close up shots of Pelicans and Egrets

Loxahatchi NWR, Boynton Beach.

Everglades including Anhinga Trail, Shark Valley, Mahogany Hammock (maybe barred owls) and if I have enough bug repellent I'll head down to Flamingo.

If you are interested in company send me an e-mail. Let me know when you will be down there.

I live down here (Miami) and head to the everglades a couple times a month to shoot. and yes, June will be rainy, hot and muggy. But if you go EARLY MORNING and be there for sunrise, you'll do well. You should be done by 10 or 11 and safe from the scorching heat and humidity. Late afternoon, including sunset, can be good time also, if it's not raining at that moment. A lot of good spots were named... The Everglades natl park, US 41 (the road that Clyde Butcher's place is on), Loxahatchee (and Wakodahatchee Wetlands, only about 3 or 4 miles from Loxahatchee) are all good spots. The Fakahatchee boardwalk on US 41 (a couple miles west of St Rd 29) can be productive, or not. Generally a 'can't miss' spot is Turner River Road on US 41. Lots of wading birds, gators, and other living creatures. If you want to get together one of the days you're here, let me know.

Cliff