5x7 Wood Canham - two questions

robert_wijas

I've just received my new camera - 5x7 wood Canham.

I'm very happy with my choice :) I have two questions:

1. Can I use 6x17 Canham back with this camera?

2. I cannot find any marks on front standard, that would help me to

reset front rise. Any advice?

Happy New Year!

From http://www.canhamcameras.com/Roll%20film%20back.html

"K. B. Canham is pleased to offer the first motorized 6x17 roll film back for use on the Canham 5x7 view cameras (other cameras can be used, but please contact us first for information on how this can be done)."

Sounds like the answer to 1. is yes. I don't know about 2.

Best wishes,

David

Thanks David,

I'm aware of the facts you're writing about. My guess is: this back should fit my camera, but I don't know it for sure. I'm asking this question mainly because on Canham web site this back is listed on MQC57 accessories page but it absent on traditional wooden camera accessories page.

Is there anyone shotting with this equipment?

The best suggestion is to call Canham about both questions. Keith Canham is very helpful and will have the correct answers as well as any cautions that you might not get from people on this forum.

Based on my understanding (remember I'm one of those people on this forum), the Canham 6x17 holder is intended to mount on a camera with a 5x7 Graflock back. The wood Canham 5x7 does not have a Graflock back, but the metal MQC does. That's why it's listed as a MQC accessory. I understand, however, that, if the holder will slide behind the ground glass, you can use it on a 5x7 without a Graflock. It takes about two inches to get the holder under the glass. I would have a concern about correct registration and light tightness using this method.

As far as marks to center the front standard, I'd suggest carefully centering the front standard, and then creating your own marks. It would a good idea to make temporary marks at first, perhaps using tape, until you're sure you've got them in the right place.

The Canham is a nice camera; I use one myself.

I've asked Keith Canham the first question, and he says it works perfectly. He says you need

the 5x7 groundglass protector in place when mounting the back.

The front standard has no zero marks. You can either make your own, or learn about where

they belong. I just set it close and don't worry about it.

Have fun with your new camera!

--clyde

Here's what Keith told me in answer to the 1st question: Slide the rear standard up

close to the front standard as if you were shooting with a very short focal length lens.

When the bellows are compact, raise the front standard up until the bellows appear to

be 'level' top to bottom. You'll 'get it' when you try it .

It's worked for me for 5 years now. By the way, get the compendium shade that is

made for the camera. Awesome accessory for a brilliant camera.

Robert,

I can answer the first question. I have the 5X7/4X5 Wood Field. You can use the 6X17 cm back. As others have said you need the gg protector. Else you will scratch the gg. Some have had difficulty in loading the film to the back. I have printed the loading instructions and pack them with the system so I have them wherever I go. The instructions have to be followed to the letter or film and images will be lost. Also, when traveling always have an extra 9 volt battery.

When setting up your shot make sure the camera is completely locked down before inserting the back. This camera has six slide locks, three on each side. And three locks for the standards. One for the front and two for the rear. Plus the screw locks for the front and rear standard that controls rise/fall and the tilts.

Never forget to put in the gg protector before inserting the back. This is a beautifully engineered camera but may take some time to get used to all the controls.

Jim