How do you do this?

If you have time please take a look at this gallery.

http://www.photo.net/photodb/member-photos?include=all&user_id=997968

In the nature section there are several images with very dark/black

backgrounds. For example the flamingo and emu. How is this achieved?

I have tried to replicate using Photoshop but with rubbish results

compared to these. It� the fine edge detail that is difficult to

deal with! And I can�t believe these are studio shots!

Any Ideas or pointer would be helpful.

Marina if you�re out there Fantastic work!

Thanks in advance

Regards

Steve

I do not know how it was done here, but there are many ways to accomplish something similar. If the background is very dark to begin with, it can be done using a "levels" adjustment layer containing a mask that keeps the adjustment from modifying the subject. If original background is not dark, one could either do a careful selection of the animal and paste it onto a new layer that has been filled with black (or other color of choice) or one could accomplish the same thing by putting a layer mask on the new-colored layer that masks out the shape of the animal. These techniques are not particularly advanced or difficult from, but the lighter and more diverse the background on the original image, the more time-consuming it can be.

Ah that will teach me to read things properly. Thanks.

But I guess the flash technique will help to start with? Please excuse my ignorance but as I say I am still quite a novice. Any advice on my Nature pictures would also be very welcome as that is the area I most enjoy. Thanks again

You could use flash but your pictures will not have the natural look of day light. Any part of the animal that is reflective (eyes, beak, etc) wil need to be tamed later on in Photoshop.

My suggestion is to forget about artificial lighting if you want any chance to achieve what you so admire in Marina's pictures. Do as Marina, wait till the light is low, the backround a little darker and use spot metering.

It will take time and effort on your part. Be prepared to be disappointed with your first results but hang in there and you'll eventually get it.