bruce_chabansky

Any suggestions how to set up lighting for product photography are

greatly appriciated.

I plan to buy and set up the lighting equipment, but am not sure

what I should get. I thought to get 4 Alzo HMI lights with soft

boxes and some large reflectors.

The products are reflective (made from aluminum), or painted to

simulate metalic look. They are about 40 inches long, 10 inches wide

and 5 inches tall and seat on a table. I have a canon rebel XT.

Bruce, when you shoot reflective subjects, you need to realize that every light source will appear on the surface just as if you were shooting into a mirror. If you're not careful, you and your camera will also show in the picture.

The most common method to light such subjects is by using only reflected light (like from big white foamcore boards with a hole for the camera lens), or by using a light tent.

You can make your own tent from translucent material, or consider a commercial one, like for instance the large Literoom from Photoflex.

http://www.photoflex.com/photoflex/index.html

Go under products, then literoom.

I'm sure there are many other similar products, but this will at least give you some ideas.

One other suggestion. Find some catalogs which show shiny metal cookware sets, and try to figure out how they were lit.

Good luck!

Reflective surfaces are the "most fun" for us! The best thing that I have found isn't a softbox at all. I have done a ton of fine jewelry, experimental products and regular products and for highly reflective stuff, the large (I'm talking very large) sheet of Gator Foam (white of course) comes out. Mount the foamcore above the product on a table top (about 3-5ft above the product) and angle it towards the camera about 30 degrees. Because it is 40" long, a 4'x8' sheet of gatorfoam will be fine. Gatorfoam is great because it is thicker than foamcore and more rigid. Set up about 2-3 lights by your camera with the heads below the tabletop level, aiming at the foam. This will become your main light. Make sure your lights are evenly lighting the foam and if you need to put the softboxes on your lights, thats ok as long as it evens out the light across the foam. Take a meter reading and shoot. The beauty of this lighting technique is that it will give you details in the highlights and the softness of an extra large softbox. The downfall of it is that it shows all details! To make sure it is a clean product shot, I would also get yourself a large roll of background paper but the color of the background is usually up to the client... Savage Sky Blue, Gulf Blue, Contrast Grey, Slate Grey are "the norm" for commercial products but ask the client to be sure.

If you do chose to light with softboxes overhead, you will find that your highlights will be blown out and harsh...

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
Thank you, Bruce Chabansky, for filing the lawsuit against Sony. My videocamera stopped working in May, 2005, and Sony at that time told me to send it to their Texas facility to get it repaired at my own cost. I am so glad you did it for all of us. Big hugs